Topic: Headphone Output?

Hi,

My headphone output is not in stereo.  The 1-2 outputs are stereo to my monitors, and when I pan things the headphone meters respond accordingly, but not the actual audio coming out of the phone output.  Tips on that?

Donny

Re: Headphone Output?

Maybe you could mention which headphone output and which audio card you are referring to... And where exactly are you "panning things"?

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi,

I'm using the Multiface II with the new PCIe card and I've chosen preset 1 in TotalMix.  I have my Kurzweil K-2500 Stereo Output connected to Analog Inputs 1 and 2 on the Multiface II.  I can hear the output through the headphones, but it's not in stereo.  The output to my speakers is in stereo.  The headphones do work properly have been tested on other devices and verified to play back stereo properly.  What am I missing?  Surely not a bad headphone output on the MultifaceII.

Thanks!

Donny

Hi,

It's doing this on preset 2 also.  For preset 1 and 2, the respective left and right channels do meter properly for the input and output; they move differently for stereo audio, but the headphones are still coming out in mono.  I've verified the mono button is not pressed in TotalMix...it is not having any effect on the audio in the headphones.

Thanks!

Donny

Hi Donny,
did you look at the panning of the headphone routing? Maybe AN1+2 are both at "center".
Best regards
Hermann

Hi,

The input channel 1 is panned 100% left and input channel 2 is panned 100% right...is that what you're referring to?

Thanks,

Donny

The AN outputs 1-8....there is no pan control for those correct?  I have AN 1 going out Left and AN 2 going out Right and my monitors are playing in stereo.  This should not be difficult...I've had many different interfaces before this one without this issue with the headphone output.

There's certainly no "issue" with the MFII's headphone output in general...
Do you hear wav or MP3 files over the headphone output in stereo?

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi,

Nothing is playing back in stereo at any time.  This includes waves and mp3's in Windows Media Player and stereo tracks from Sonar.  I've confirmed that software channels 1 and 2 being routed to Phones and AN 1+2 and in both cases, those channels are panned left and right respectively.  Again, monitors are playing fine, it's just the headphones.  I've set the Monitor Phones to AN 1+2 and it's still in mono, just on the heaphones.  Have I missed something?

Thanks,

Donny

Can you test another pair of headphones? I'm not saying something's wrong with the headphones, just trying to find out what's going on. Are you sure the phones' TRS plug is inserted all the way?

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi,

I just checked a second pair of headphones and it's doing the same thing...mono only on the headphones...monitors are playing in stereo.  The first pair of headphones I used are AKG K-270's and the second pair are Sony MDR-CD180's...both verified to work stereo on other sources.  Definitley plugged in all the way...I've tried gently wiggling, rotating, pulling out, etc...no stereo yet on the phones.  I've tried playing .wav and .mp3's from Sound Forge and they are mono through both sets of headphones on each AN output that I've tried.  Is there a way I can attach the .mix file I'm using to let someone else try it? 

Thanks!

Donny

Are you using an adaptor (mini to 1/4") and if so is it a stereo adaptor (i.e trs)?
Rick

13 (edited by shudupanddance 2007-08-14 10:32:14)

In totalmix

Under options make sure 'Link Faders' (L) Is unchecked.

On the bottom row of faders. Pull one channel fader down on the Phones output.

Do you still get sound out of both sides of the headphones?

Check Under Matrix View in Totalmix. (X)

Stereo

PhL   Ph R
Out 1   x   
Out 2          x

Mono

PhL   Ph R
Out 1   x      x
Out 2   x      x

RME RPM + PCI, SL1200, Nad c350 , Dynaudio Audience 52, Ableton, Traktor. Dell 9200 E6600 XP Home

Hi,

Definitely using stereo adapter...headphones are playing stereo when used on other sources.  Checked matrix and everything is fine there.  Here are two links to pictures of my matrix and mixer.  This is really puzzling...

Donny

http://www.flickr.com/photos/monoheadphones/1113402973/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/monoheadphones/1113390701/

15 (edited by shudupanddance 2007-08-14 11:47:24)

Hi,

The only way I can think of testing whether it is an electrical problem or not is by using a balanced trs cable. Plugging one end into the head phone socket on the MF II.

And on the other end using a multimeter to measure the resistance between ring and tip. If there is no resistance, it must mean that there is a faulty connection.???

RME RPM + PCI, SL1200, Nad c350 , Dynaudio Audience 52, Ableton, Traktor. Dell 9200 E6600 XP Home

You haven't hit the Mono switch in Totalmix bay any chance, have you?

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi,

I've tried the mono button on and off and it has no effect on the headphone output...still mono.

Thanks!

Donny

shudupanddance wrote:

Hi,

The only way I can think of testing whether it is an electrical problem or not is by using a balanced trs cable. Plugging one end into the head phone socket on the MF II.

And on the other end using a multimeter to measure the resistance between ring and tip. If there is no resistance, it must mean that there is a faulty connection.???

I'm going to try this.  I believe I have checked everything in TotalMix and both sets of headphones are OK on other sources.  Surely if I can make the monitors work in stereo I should be able to follow the same procedure to make the headphones work in stereo...it just hasn't happened yet.

Donny

On my HDSP RPM

If I set monitor out to AN1 + AN2 (By clicking uderneath where it says Out 1 and Out 2, and selecting AN1+2)  and I have Sound playing out of Out 1 and Out 2 e.g. playing a MP3.
I change the panning on Out 1 and Out 2 It does NOT affect phones, Just AN1 and AN 2.

If I set monitor out to Phones (By clicking uderneath where it says Out 1 and Out 2, and clicking Phones, so that the white writing on black background says Phones). I change the panning on Out 1 and Out 2 It does affect Phones. And does not affect AN1 and AN2

Does yours behave the same?

Hey,

Mine does not do that.  When I have the software Outs 1-2 each set to Phones routing, pan does not work on the phones.  It does work when they are going to mains.

The multimeter seems to show no electrical problem with the headphone jack.  It behaves the same way on the MM as other known good stereo jacks do.

Donny

21 (edited by shudupanddance 2007-08-17 10:28:03)

I'm all out of ideas. Except CTRL + Clicking on the presets resets them to factory defaults in Totalmix.

I'm not from RME Support was just trying to help....

22 (edited by Zapp 2007-08-17 11:15:20)

Donny, just an idea:
You have routed your analog in 1+2 and your analog out 1+2 to your phones output, as seen in your matrix.
What happens if you change (in the matrix) your left and right routing of the input OR output in the reverse order to the phones?

Zapp

Regards
Zapp

On the matrix, I can pan analog input 1 all the way center, left or right, then route it to only right OR left and in every case it comes out both cans on the headphones.  What's worse is that all the meters light up like things ARE panning...the phones output meters show panning, the headphones just are not doing it.  And again, I know it's not the headphones.  I can plug them directly into my Kurzweil and each set is properly playing in stereo.  I've reset the factory defaults on TotalMix as well.  I don't know what is wrong.  I do appreciate you all posting though.

Donny

WOW!  I "fixed" it! (being very sarcastic here)  If I run AN output 3-4 to a headphone amp the I get stereo headphones!  I should not have to do that, but I suppose it's just a means to an end.  I'm waiting to hear back from my retailer to see what they have to say about this.  What should I do...send it back or keep it and use like this?

Provided that there is no corrupted Totalmix and/or driver files...
...if this is a true hardware failure I would send it back for testing.

Zapp

Regards
Zapp

I think I'm going to try totally uninstalling the interface and drivers and reinstalling.  This just seems really quirky so I'm pulling at straws now.

Donny

Maybe you could try reflashing the firmware on the HDSPe PCI-e card since that is where the brains of the interface are or at least seeing whether you have the latest firmware.

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_downloads.ph … iver_hdspe

Hi,

My PCIe card has the latest firmware and I've also got the latest drivers...still no luck...frustrating...

I reseated and reinstalled all the RME stuff...still does not work.

Hi,

Based on the manual, I believe the output impedance on the headphones is 30 Ohms.  When I measure on the multimeter it reads right around 25 Ohms.  Would it be possible for the TRS jack to meter properly but not actually play properly...meaning that, could it possibly need cleaning?  I would think not, since it seems to meter OK, but I can't think of anything else that would cause such a problem with the "hi power, hi end headphone output".  If so, what procedure or products could you all recommend for cleaning the TRS headphone jack on the front of the Multiface II?

Thanks!

Donny

31 (edited by panatrope 2007-08-19 23:20:25)

It is possible to get 'mono' if the ground connection to the 'sleeve' is open somewhere.   You should be able to measure very low resistance from the ground/sleeve on the headphone socket to a similar point on another TRS output. 

Connection on tip and ring only will give mono -  it effectively puts the L and R phones in series and actually you hear the difference between left and right channels (or L-R).  Very easy to check this possibility - play a mono signal on the left channel only, then on both channels.  If the sound level drops when playing on both channels, then this could be the problem.  If not, then it is something else.

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

Hi,

I sent in my new Multiface II to Synthogy and they did verify that it had a faulty headphone output...first one they had ever seen.  Big kudos to them for straightening out the problem and getting me back in business VERY quickly.

Thanks!

Donny

I am having the same problem.  For me its the right channel.  Everything looks great in total mix, but when I solo the right channel, or just pan something hard right, it totally disappears.  Is the answer a hardware problem?

Thanks,

steve

Hence the reason why "For the first time, all inputs and outputs are simultaneously operational" in the AIO "soundcard".

Cryptograph:

I don't know what that means.  If you know something, let me know as well.

Thanks,

steve

It's on the website:

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdspe_aio.php

I appreciate the response, but I have a FF800 and I am not sure how that one section applies to my headphone output problem.

From my reading of what has been said here and in the newsgroup, the only device which actually has a separate Headphone output is the HDSP AIO and is therefore not plagued with any of the problems described thus far.

Cryptograph, you are completely off track here. I have no clue where the problem is, but it is not normal and no limitation of the products.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC:  Email sent.  Thanks.

im having the same problem with my headphones, is my product defective?