1 (edited by cosmicjazzer 2012-07-23 23:27:37)

Topic: Compatible motherboard/processor for Multiface 2/PCI card

I am about to purchase a new PC, (windows 7, 64 bit, 16GB RAM SSDs, Cubase 6.5, BFD, waves, LASS, Ivory etc.) which will be built by one of the dedicated DAW builders here in the UK. I'm presently looking at the different options of motherboard and processor that these builders offer... I'm on fairly limited budget. I'd like to go for an Intel 2600 (I've no plans to overclock...) but I seem to recall reading that there have been performance issues using the RME PCI (rather than PCI express) interfaces with Sandy Bridge.

So I'm wondering if someone in the know could let me know whether the 2600 will work well with my PCI/Multiface 2.  And if the answer is 'yes it will', my next question would be: Which of the following motherboards is likely to work the best: Gigabyte Z68, Asus P8H77-V or Asus P8Z77-V LE?

Perhaps I should add that achieving rock solid performance at ultra low latency is my primary concern. I will sometimes be using the computer live as a host for soft synths that I will play live, as well as more 'normal' studio use, so avoiding audio glitches at lowest latency is quite crucial!

Would I do better just to buy a HDSPe PCI card for my Multiface 2 and be done with it?!

Many thanks smile

Re: Compatible motherboard/processor for Multiface 2/PCI card

Hi,
The newer Z68 and H77/Z77 chip sets have a bridged PCI slot. People have reported on decreased bandwidth and performance when using PCI audio interfaces be they RME or not.
You will probably be better off getting the HDSPe card.

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Re: Compatible motherboard/processor for Multiface 2/PCI card

Agreed - Look for a used PCIe card - I just snapped one up for $250!

Alternatively - Go with a slightly older but still very powerful X58/LGA1366 platform - the CPU prices on those are falling like a ton of bricks (rumors had it Microcenter was selling i7-920's for $5!!!)  - and they are still very fast i7 processors.  The X58 still has native PCI.

Tough call - I'd likely go for the PCIe card for some future-proofing.  The Ivy Bridge CPU's are stupid fast...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8