Topic: Low recording volume - HELP!

Hi,

I recently purchased an RME Babyface and a BLUE Bluebird microphone. Everything seems to be working well although there is a problem with the volume when I am recording. I am a beginner so I'm not familiar with most of the technical terms.

In Totalmix FX, the sound from my microphone is loud (i turned up the gain and all the volume levels) but when I am recording using Adobe Soundbooth or Adobe audition, the levels are very low and you can barely hear it when we play the audio file of the recording. I can't seem to figure out the problem. It's a pricey product for a beginner and I'm not sure whether there is damage to the product. I was thinkning of returning it if i can't figure out the solution. Help would be appreciated sad

Thanks!!

Re: Low recording volume - HELP!

Just to make sure: you turn on phantom power (48V button) in the analog channel with the connected mic and set the gain with the round knob to a high value (30-50 dB)? Both options are in the settings flyout of the channel (wrench icon).
The mic signal in the input channel peaks around -6dB on the peakmeter of this channel?

i turned up the gain and all the volume levels

If you set all volume faders to 0 dB it should play the mic signal like it will be recorded. Adobe has an integrated level meter. Does the peak level match with the one in TotalMix (see above), when you play the recording?

best regards
Knut

Just had that in this forum. You must make sure to use ASIO in Audition. It seems otherwise it tries to use Windows system mixer settings that do not exist.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The babyface is selected as audio in Adobe and therefore I can see it is actually recording, however when I record from the mic, save the file and play it on windows media player it is very soft. But when it comes to recording audio from my pc with the babyface, it is loud and nothing seems to be the problem. :S

Cheers,

Check the position of the volume fader in WMP.
Also, how is playback in Audition? Try normalizing the file.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME