Topic: VU meter

How about an option for a VU meter on the digickeck? Would that be possible? Would be a pretty good feature. The one with the needles and the whole shabaam..

Re: VU meter

There are several VU meter simulations available as plug-ins.  I have looked at several of them, but have invariably found them unconvincing.  VU ballistics (the way the pointer moves) are tightly specified, and it takes a very fast update rate to make the pointer accurately model them.

I know RME appreciates a challenge, and I'd love to see them succeed.  But may I suggest, if a VU meter (or two) is really useful to you, you actually go out and buy a real one (make sure it conforms strictly to ANSI specs) and as I do, connect it to a spare line out.  (You might find some "going spare" at a local radio station that has recently "gone digital".)

(ps. For real "radio" work, it has to be internally illuminated!)

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

3 (edited by paviglianiti 2012-05-01 09:39:46)

A VU meter is always useful.
Try use it for pre-plugs gainstaging...

Klanghelm

Cheers

Regards
Davide

I would love to have a HW vu meter. They do show some things that the daw really doesnt.
but, hauling that thing around on location when i wanna travel light sometimes, would be kind of defeating the purpose.
I think if anyone can make it, its the RME guys. big_smile HAppy with all the stuff they got.

Would be sweet to have that as an option in digicheck, since it got pretty much everything else. smile

Gonna check out klanghelm. Thanks for the tip.

5 (edited by Dux 2012-07-27 00:45:17)

Has anyone tried this? I use it sometimes. It works pretty smoothly. http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=103711

The thing is I purchased Satson Channel and Buss that also work very smoothly and have very clean saturation and great filters in it [ http://dsp.sonimus.com/products/satson/ ], so I don't need StereoChannel or MonoChannel that often. Only when I need a clean channel, or some additional processing these free plugins give you. Try them, they're really worth it! Even just for the VU-meter part. wink

Cheers!