1 (edited by feline1 2012-08-13 16:16:09)

Topic: Debugging/reporting Blue Screens of Death

Since getting my Fireface UCX a few weeks ago, I've had about 1 random Blue Screen of Death per week.
(Windows 7 SP1 64 bit PC, connected via firewire...)  Different error reasons every time.

I did not get these blue screens with my previous sound card (which was connected to the same PC via the same firewire cable...) so they are demonstrably connected with the UCX in some way....

It's not yet proving a major problem for me, but I am wondering: is there are way to submit crash dumps like this to RME, to help with future driver updates...? If so, what info do you need?

Re: Debugging/reporting Blue Screens of Death

Got another random BSOD today.

...And another BSOD today.  Is there somewhere we can send dump files of these? Or are RME not interested.

Are you using the default "Balanced" Windows power-profile? If so then try switching to "High Performance".

I checked and it's already on "High Performance"

Do you know which Firewire chipset your computer uses? You could try to switch it to "(legacy)" driver via Windows' Device-Manager.

Timur, thanks for all the tips. As far as I recall, my Mobo doesn't have native firewire, I have a PCI Express FW expansion card installed instead. The PC was built by Scan Computers in the UK so they purposefully picked a 'reliable chipset'.  I'll double-check it this evening.

All that aside, the reason I started the thread was to ask if RME support have a route for users to submit crash-dump data?

Sorry, no. Windows chrash dumps have proven to be useless for us. Even more if you have a driver that works for 30,000 people up and crashes your computer just 2 times a week. Searching that error is impossible from our side, and would still need weeks or months if we had your exact computer in our labs, as the issue can not be reproduced under known or fixed conditions.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

fair enough!  Well I guess I'm just lucky it only happens about twice per week wink
And my 'Ctrl-S' reflex is so ingrained that it rarely means I lose any work.

Still, it is a little baffling.... this Win7 PC I have has always been extremely stable in the past... and my old M-Audio soundcard never produced these BSoD (but, of course, it sounded a bit rubbish wink

See it this way: One reason why the latest RME devices offer both USB and Firewire is so that you can switch to the other when one doesn't work with your particular computer setup (out of the myriads that are out there). There are usually no real-world drawbacks of using USB, so if Firewire doesn't work well, just switch! wink