Topic: RME sound card for movies and music, vocal recording

Dear all,
I'm a newbie to the PC audio area and would like to get some advice on getting a high fidelity sound card that can also be used for 5.1/7.1 surround sound (watching movies), listening to music and recording. My music recording needs are very simply - microphone for vocals only (which I'm still researching on so am flexible). Currently I'm using xbmc, JRiver Media Centre, PowerDVD and VLC but would like to stick to xbmc due to its 2 way remote capacity and would love the program to be able to drive/output to the sound card without problems. I will connect my pc with 2 pairs of high quality B&O active speakers  (via RCA) and a sub.

Based on my limited understanding I've narrow my short list to -
1. RME Fireface UC
2. RME HDSPe AIO with analog expansion card

I would appreciate any recommendations or feedback on your experience.

Kind Regards

Bill

Re: RME sound card for movies and music, vocal recording

Hi Bill,
The Fireface UC would be best for this since it already has the analog I/O required for the 5.1/7.1 and has Mic pres for recording.
You will just need RCA to 1/4" adapters to plug in the B&O speakers assuming these are analog connections.
I have know idea if xbmc works with our interfaces. Not if the remote will control the volume of the FF UC directly. Usually remotes control the volume with in the software app.

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Thanks Chris for the quick response.
I notice that the outputs for the Fireface UC is balanced (except for 7/8). Can I direct the front channels to output 7/8 permanently? I'm only asking as its going to be hard to get balanced cable for my front B&O speakers

BTW Wil the windows volume control control the fireface uc volume output if its the default sound driver? If it does then my remote app can do the volume control

Thanks so much for your help, I'm a newbie but would like to get a quality sound card on my pc.

1. Yes.

2. No. See here:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8343

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3780

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

hello,  when i watch a movie through the rme sound card the pitch goes up and the characters sound like alvin and the chipmunks.  if i turn the sound card off the audio is normal.

any suggestions?

wesley

i found another posting and i toggled the sample rate.  that fixed the chipmunk sound