Topic: I have a question about software playback in TotalMixFX newest version

Ah, I get the same software playback volume no matter if I set the the meter to read 0dB or -10dB or anything. Not sure but only the hardware volume playback makes a difference. This is on a video from Utube and it all goes through the software playback, and I would think if I were monitoring playback I could listen to different levels there as well as the hardware playback also. I did not check further with Windows Media Player and that output, but I thought I would ask anyway, as to why the software playback volume monitoring never changes although the meters move along with any song (or video that is played.

??

Newest version of TotalMixFX and all of that downloaded and working.

Re: I have a question about software playback in TotalMixFX newest version

?? as well. Try to describe the problem so that I can understand what you are doing.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I am playing music either from a video on utube or from musicians on a music forum. I thought that if the software playback AN1 and AN2 level meters are registering as if it is being monitored there that changing the levels would change the volume of the software playback. It seems that only the Hardware Outputs change the volume. This is on a Babyface. I thought the streaming music or video is going through software first to play back on the Babyface. Just checking to see if what I was thinking is actually happening, but it seems that the only volume change can only happen on the Hardware Outputs.

I hope you understand this now.

Not really. What means 'changing the levels' exactly?

And ' if I set the the meter to read 0dB or -10dB' is still mysterious to me. Where do you try to adjust the level meters display range? In TM FX this is not possible.

Where do you try to change the volume? In the playing application? Will work. In TM's second row with the software playback faders? Will work. If not you did not highlight the current hardware output first.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Okay, the faders then (when double clicking it is set 0, when dragging it down set at -10 or whatever fader value).

This:
(In TM's second row with the software playback faders? Will work.)

Perhaps only in my software for recording music, I will have to see as I have not noticed anything wrong there. Perhaps the steaming music is only going somehow through Windows XP to the hardware outputs.

No big deal. And I will try and highlight the current hardware output first as I have the control room going to the headphones and AN1 and AN2 hardware outputs going to the monitor amp.

Just never noticed that before I guess from Internet streaming music. No big deal then as perhaps it is not considered to be software playback on the computer, just ends up going to the hardware outputs.
The headphones (control room) and the hardware outputs I can adjust the faders.

It just could be something from their website streaming that you have to use their volume control as it seems to just go directly to the hardware outputs.

Never noticed it before, I guess.

No big deal then as software on the computer like Windows Media Player probably is different.

There is no way for software to access the hardware outputs directly. From what you write you did not fully understand the relationship between currently active submix and the fader positions of inputs and playbacks channels - when using the preferred Submix view. Maybe you worked without that one before?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

• The level meters of input and playback channels are connected pre-fader, to be able to visually monitor where a signal is currently present. The level meters of the hardware outputs are connected post-fader, thus displaying the actual output level.

• Middle row: Playback channels (playback tracks of the audio software). Via fader and routing menu, any playback channel can be routed and mixed to any hardware output (bottom row).

• Bottom row: Hardware outputs. Here, the total level of the output can be adjusted. This may be the level of connected loudspeakers, or the necessity to reduce the level of an overloaded submix.

The Help in TotalMixFX explains it, I just did not realize it with the software playback that it was "pre-fader" not "post-fader" like the hardware output.

And I am on "View Options" on the right side - "Free" not "Submix".

So I will adjust the volume on the software of the streaming music showing on the software playback of the TotalMixFX program.

Everything is fine!

As a note:
Some videos and music played streaming in from the Internet are very compressed and such with some way louder than others. The software playback on those was showing it always going into the red. The Babyface does not distort though, it just shows it going into the red all the time. I just did not care for that, but being pre-fader on the software playback I now know how to adjust that also on the software playing the music.

I just really don't care for max volume songs and videos compressed to the upper limit, I like a little more dynamics in songs or videos. Just some mixing stuff going on with the way some songs are mixed at the end using limiters and compressors and upping the volume. Not all songs or videos do that, and I just don't care that much for it.

But the Babface does not distort it at anytime.
Works fine (the Babyface) for what I do.
I just don't bury the input signal or the output signal of any music I may or might have done. (It's debatable whether it is any good music or not, as I am older and just doing what I may be doing with it.

I have not really finished anything as of yet. I guess I am just learning things yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9ZdZU5us4A
Don't think to bad of it, as I have been sick and had a few heart disease problems going on for awhile. Getting better now, and the music will not be all that much perhaps, as I fool around with my synth and such.

It's just a sort of hobby, no one had in the old days before.

Bunch of older and some young on a DAW's forum just doing their thing. Some have bought RME UC's and such to record live music, but I just using mine at home.

spacealf wrote:

Everything is fine!

Good to hear!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Sorry, they have UCX's and UFX's some of them are setting up.
I get tired.

Bye.