Topic: FF800 Instrument Input Distortion

I have a FF800 & when an electric guitar is plugged into the instrument input 1 on the front of the unit I get distortion as the guitar note decays. I have searched the forum & it seems this is a recognised problem on some units.

I found this thread from 2008:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2162

Which said that a number of units had been identified as having a problem. The thread mentions a replacement programme. Can you please tell me more about this as the thread does not mention what to do?

Thanks

www.jjvernon.com

Re: FF800 Instrument Input Distortion

There is a difference between internal groud noise and decaying 'distortion'. Were you able to listen to one of the sound samples from that time? The input could just be defective (OP amp broken).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Email Sent
Thanks
JJ

Hello again,

A bit more information about this. There is the same high pitched noise from the instrument input as reported in the other old thread, even if there is nothing plugged into the input as well as the distortion as the guitar note decays.

Today I used a Canford audio DI box into the mic input on channel 7. There is considerably less noise recording this way, there is no high frequency noise & the distortion does not happen.

Do I have one FF800s with the poor grounding on the instrument input.

Regards

JJ

www.jjvernon.com

Hi there,

Is there any update on this? The front instrument input is definitely emitting a high frequency hum even with no guitar plugged in as well as the distortion in the guitar signal as previously mentioned. When I switch to the rear line level input 1, the noise goes away.

Usually, I work with midi & virtual instruments but I'm working with a client at the moment who needs to track guitar. This is frustrating as it looks like I will have to go & buy DI just to get a decent instrument signal into the FF800.

Kind regards

JJ

www.jjvernon.com

Same on my Fireface. All front inputs (7,8,9,10) have distortion. On minimum, they sound OK. As soon as I turn them up, they distort.
But only the first input has extra high pitch noise with guitar.

UFX+, FireFace 802 FS, Digiface USB
12 Mic, M1610 pro, Micstasy
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X