Topic: High Latency with HSDPe & Multiface I

Hello,

I have a 2011 MBP 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 16 gigs of ram running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4

I previously sold an RME Babyface which gave me 2.8 ms of latency & purchased 2 RME Multiface Is & a HSDPe Expresscard now my latency is 5.4 ms. I have downloaded what I believe is the latest drivers 3.03, I have ran a software update on my Multiface & have spent the last 2 weeks going into the preferences menu & playing with different combinations of settings but for some reason my latency continues to be 5.4 ms.

I have colleagues that have reported latency as low as 1.5 ms on worse systems yet for some reason. This is not the case for me. I am happy to provide any additional information you think may be relevant and if you think I am missing some driver or system update pls send me a link and let me know but I genuinely believe that something is wrong with my settings or I am missing something bc 5.4 ms of latency seems high for an expresscard connection especially on a laptop this powerful.

Thanks for your help in advance

Re: High Latency with HSDPe & Multiface I

How exactly was this latency determined/measured, and how did those colleagues of yours do so? What latency have you actually set in your audio software? Etc.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I have the latest version of Logic 9 set to 32 samples and the latest version of Logic calculates my latency to be 5.4 ms

Previously I used a Babyface for my portable setup and had 2.7 ms of latency & other brand name interfaces I have used while traveling and patching into other studio interfaces of lower quality give me around 2-3 ms of latency at the 32 samples mark so I am sure there is something wrong with my settings on the HDSPe software or I dont have something installed correctly because another colleague is running the RME in an older model Macbook Pro & getting btwn 1.5-2 ms of latency with no distinguishable differences between our setups. Also I should note that this is with no channels of audio being recorded and no soft-synths active. My entire rig is all analog keyboards and drum machines so low latency is very critical to my workflow. Please advise on any additional information needed about my schematics or suggestions on how to resolve.
Cheers
RP

I am still awaiting a response of some kind on this issue. If this is not the appropriate channel for tech support then please point me in the right direction so that I can get a resolution to this issue.

We measure 4.7 ms for your setup. The Babyface can not reach 2.7 ms, that must be an error. The PCI values are basically a bit higher as we use an additional 32 sample safety buffer on playback, but therefore you can use a lower buffer setting before clicks and crackling occurs.

Regarding other interfaces: Logic does not check the values communicated by the driver, and often they are lower than what you would measure with a roundtrip/loopback test. A comparison based only on those readouts is not possible.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME