Topic: mac os/fireface uc/two pairs of monitors

Hello,
this is my first post..hello!! smile
Last night i wanted to use 2 pairs of monitors within mac os x, but i can't figure it out how to use that set-up in a right way.
If I use the control room area in totalmix everything seems right, but I can't use the normal volume control of my my keyboard.
I have to give mac os x (10.6.8.) my main stereo output. I think I tried everything, but is it possible to control two sets
of monitors? I know I have to switch inside totalmix, but I still want to use my mac keyboard to control the volume.

Thanks a lot!!
Gerald

Re: mac os/fireface uc/two pairs of monitors

Link them...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by kabelton 2012-09-09 12:35:08)

hi,
thanks for your answer, I did link them, but as soon as I switch to "Speak.B" my volume input of the keyboard does not response any more, it's kind of blocked.
I also tried use a quadrophonic set-up in mac os x audio/midi set-up, so mac os x know I have four speakers... no luck.

Thanks

btw. using 10.6.8 and the latest totalmix 0.985

... I don't want to get on someones nerves, but is there anybody who knows with mac osx is blocking my volume input when sitching to speakerB? So, I can't use it at all.

Thanks

to use the control volume from the keyboard, you have to select in Sytem Audio Pref, the Fireface UC as the main output device...only after that you will be able to change the volume from the keyboard. at least it works for me like that.

hi nexus,
thanks for your reply, the fireface is my main output device, and i can control the volume with my mac keyboard... but only of pair a. when i switch to linked pair b the keys are blocked. so to control the volume of two speaker pairs you have to buy a external monitoring controller? that cant be right...

thanks

7 (edited by isaac 2012-09-13 21:15:00)

kabelton wrote:

hi nexus,
thanks for your reply, the fireface is my main output device, and i can control the volume with my mac keyboard... but only of pair a. when i switch to linked pair b the keys are blocked. so to control the volume of two speaker pairs you have to buy a external monitoring controller? that cant be right...

thanks

It may be a limitation of Mac OS. With our mac mini at church (Dante not RME) we have to use the first stereo pair as the output for all system devices. No way to select any of the other outputs. In logic I can use the other outputs, but not for Itunes etc.

Maybe there is a work around, but I think that this 'feature' maybe the issue. How are you switching between the monitors? muting one pair/unmuting the other pair? or changing it in the control room output?

As MC said, I would have thought that just linking the faders, then using muting would still give you control over the primary outputs, and therefore the secondary as well.

Isaac P

Hi Isaac,
there is no problem to use different stereo outputs. Go to audio/midi setup-your audio interface-speaker configuration, there you can choose your standard output.
I want to switch with the rme control room... and that does not work. When I link my two stereo outputs, there is always one muted... I can control the volume
of pair a but when I switch to pair b my volume control is broken..

best

This is a limitation of TM FX and the driver. Only Analog 1/2 can be controlled via system volume. So if you use that one as Main Out B the volume control will work when Speaker B is active - but not when Main is active.

We will check if we can improve this so that the above 'Link' tip would work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

thanks for your explanation, after calibrating the volume of my two speaker sets I can live with it very well.

thx

I've a similar question. When the System I/O in my OSX 10.6.8 is linked to Babyface and the Main out in TotalMix is AN 1/2, every volume up or down increases or decreases the Gain between 5.5db and 7.5 db. It is strange and I don't understand what setting I must change. It happens every time the same numbers. For Ex: the numbers while increasing volume on my wireless mac keyboard go like this: -58.5, -50.5, -43.5, -37, -30.5, -24.5, -19, -13.5, -8.5. But if I use the knob on the Babyface it steps up between 2 to 4 db at each rotation step if it makes sense?

Signal chain: Mac OSX 10.6.8 -> RME Babyface Line Outs -> Focal Twin 6 Be speaker monitors.

Firmware: 204, Driver: 1.78, TotalMix: 0.99beta 3 Mac OSX (1) .. Though I had the same issue with the earlier 0.98 version too.

Any help? I don't understand the logic of this volume control on either Babyface or using Mac Keyboard.

Anyone?

MC wrote:

This is a limitation of TM FX and the driver. Only Analog 1/2 can be controlled via system volume. So if you use that one as Main Out B the volume control will work when Speaker B is active - but not when Main is active.

We will check if we can improve this so that the above 'Link' tip would work.

Hello!
I am having the same issue smile
That's how I found this discussion on the Forum.
Was wondering why RME couldn't implement this feature/ability to control any of the two pairs of speakers with the volume control on the Mac?
I see that 5 years ago it was discussed:)
Till now no changes to this?
Thank You