Topic: HDSPe AIO in PCIe 2.0 slot

Hello,
I guess this question has been asked, but the answer may be 'depends on the motherboard', so let me ask again.
My motherboard is Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, and the first PCIe 1.0 slot allows only short card because the chipset heatsink blocks the full length card. I've used the second PCIe1.0 slot for HDSPe AIO, but I recently replaced video card, which now blocks the second PCIe 1.0 slot. The video card needs to be installed in the the first PCIe 2.0 x16 slot, otherwise the card is not fast/stable.

So my question is, do you have any specific suggestions if I install AIO in one of the PCIe 2.0 slot? I know PCIe2.0 is backward compatible (accepts 1.0/1.1 cards), but I've never tested myself.

Thanks!

Re: HDSPe AIO in PCIe 2.0 slot

Masaaki wrote:

Hello,
I guess this question has been asked, but the answer may be 'depends on the motherboard', so let me ask again.
My motherboard is Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, and the first PCIe 1.0 slot allows only short card because the chipset heatsink blocks the full length card. I've used the second PCIe1.0 slot for HDSPe AIO, but I recently replaced video card, which now blocks the second PCIe 1.0 slot. The video card needs to be installed in the the first PCIe 2.0 x16 slot, otherwise the card is not fast/stable.

So my question is, do you have any specific suggestions if I install AIO in one of the PCIe 2.0 slot? I know PCIe2.0 is backward compatible (accepts 1.0/1.1 cards), but I've never tested myself.

Thanks!

Shouldn't be any issue with this at all. You can put a PCIe 1x card in a 16x slot if you wanted/needed to. As you say they should be backwards compatible.

As you also said I would test it first!!! Maybe someone else can help with any other issues you might encounter?

Also this is based on my reading of the specs etc, not actual RW experience, so a bit of caution would not hurt!!!

hope this helps,

Isaac P

3 (edited by DAW PLUS 2012-09-10 15:18:56)

It should work, but it doesn't always do.
Some newer motherboards/brands/chipsets are not fully backward compatible.
We had a board which did not always recognize a RayDAT card - and we tried multiple systems. No way we got it to work other then changing the motherboard model/chipset.
Aparently Intel themselves have most issues with backward compatibility, ironically enough.

Leon Herbers
www.dawplus.com

Thank you very much!
Now I feel relatively safe trying by myself. I will report back what I find.

p.s. The video card that blocks the slot is fanless video card (Zotac nvidia GT430), and big heatsinks of these fanless cards block sometimes three slots......

Just a quick report, using HDSPe AIO in PCIe 2.0 slot, and it's actually working very well.
The only slot I was able to put in was PCIe 2.0 8x slot, but so far so good.
I had to reboot the system a couple of times (the first reboot --hang around Windows logo screen) but after that, it's working.