Topic: Babyface to replace my Duet?

I have an Apogee Duet 2 which is wonderful in many ways, except for a completely unacceptably loud 'thump' whenever the computer is started up or comes out of sleep. Apparently USB switching power on sleep is a recent energy saving feature in the latest OSX ML. Obviously I could turn my speakers off before powering up, but as my iMac goes in and out sleep 10 to 20 times a day, this isn't really practical. As a note, this was never a problem on the Firewire powered Duet 1.

Apogee engineers have been saying for most of a year that they know about and are working on the problem. But I am so fed up that I am switching to an alternative - so, considering the RME Babyface. My question is: can you RME users reassure me that the Babyface doesn't have exactly the same problem on USB? The grass is always greener, but I can see from the forum that the Babyface isn't entirely without its problems (though also with many satisfied users as well.)

Any guidance would be most helpful

Thanks.

Mid 2010 27" iMac SSD 16Gb RAM. OSX 10.8.1. Apogee Duet 2. Logic 9.

Re: Babyface to replace my Duet?

The BF will produce a pop as well, but I can not say how loud it is compared to the Duet 2. The volume also depends on the computer used. The pop is caused by the way the voltage rises, and can not be controlled by firmware or driver updates, only by a redesigned hardware.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME