1 (edited by loolaphonic 2012-09-11 17:33:07)

Topic: Cubase "initializing: MIDI" + RME = v slow. Will there ever be a fix?

It seems that RME users have this problem of Cubase's "initializing: MIDI" hanging for a very long time.
It takes about 40 seconds for me but some users have been reporting minutes (I'm surprised those folks haven't been all over RME / Steinberg about it)
On my existing PC (fast with M4 SSDs) Pro Tools 10 loads about 4x faster and Reaper loads instantly.
I've tried different peripheral configurations including a different interface, and it points clearly towards Cubase's opening with the Fireface 800.
Looking online it seems that people with the slow "initializing: MIDI" on startup are mostly RME users... has anyone gotten to the bottom of why and if there is any solution for it? Thanks

2 (edited by Timur Born 2012-09-11 18:29:06)

Re: Cubase "initializing: MIDI" + RME = v slow. Will there ever be a fix?

The time amount depends on the number of audio channels of your interface (not just RME) and your CPU clock speed (not number of cores). As you already noticed this is Cubase specific. What Cubase does is run a single CPU thread that goes through all audio channels one after another for reasons unknown. Steinberg knows about it.