Topic: More than 3 hdsp9652 possible?

Can i have more than 3 hdsp9652(32) PCI card on the same Pc? I know total mix can only see 3 card but does that means Cubase 5 won't see a 4th card? The thing is i have an HDSP9632 card i would would like to use it as well so i can have 1 more adat port and analog in/outs.

Thanks.

Re: More than 3 hdsp9652 possible?

The driver supports up to 6 cards.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

The driver supports up to 6 cards.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

That's a new one. But the manual says 3 so i guess it's not up to date. Anyway, that's good news then...

So one can access all 6 cards via total mix?

Also, i didn't find much info about cabling/syncing cards in the same computer in the manual, i take it i can use the 2 pin connector label sync in/out to sync cards?

I just want to make sure i get this right. My goal is to use the 9652/32 adat as input and listen to the result off all inputs through my 9632 analog out, is this going to work? Or do i need analog out for all soundcard?

Thanks for the speedy reply btw.

4 (edited by vinark 2012-10-01 13:24:22)

All inputs only through your DAW. The cards have no audio connection to each other (which you know of course cool ) unless you somehow connect them.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

As Vincent observed, no internal routing between cards via Totalmix.
Mixer windows for the cards >3 are opened by Ctrl-clicking on the unit buttons.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Yea i get that about the input. So if i route my master bus in cubase 5 to the analog output of my hdsp9632 and then to my monitors  i will hear all cards basically. I'm sure this is the case but correct me if I'm wrong.

RME Support wrote:

As Vincent observed, no internal routing between cards via Totalmix.
Mixer windows for the cards >3 are opened by Ctrl-clicking on the unit buttons.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Are you sure you didn't make a mistake earlier when you said the driver support up to 6 cards? Cause the manual clearly says up to 3 cards. I wouldn't want to make the mistake of buying too many cards...

thanks all for you help.

I think 6 cards are not supported "officially" anymore. But it should work.

They have never been supported 'officially', but the option is there. We have industrial customers who have special motherboards and often max out the systems as much as possible. Those guys use up to 6 cards. But their hardware is capable to do so, they use special server boards with lots of bridges and PCI/PCIe slots. These are no standard computers. For the normal user more than 3 cards bears the risk that the interfaces are not fully functional or the system gets overloaded quickly.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I see.

I intend to use this with a Magma 7 PCI slot 64-bit/33 MHz connected  with a PCIe host card, with that help? Maybe I'll use a PCI host card instead I'm not 100% sure yet. And i probably won't use more than 3x 9652 +  1x 9632 for a total of 4x hdsp pci card.  If it works well then i might be tempted to add more now that i know it can support more than 3 cards. 8-)

Anyway, this is where I'm heading so i guess I'll see once i get all the cards. But feel free to let me know what you think about the magma as a solution. PC won't be cheap either.

Thanks guys.

The host card should be PCIe, definitely. Then it might work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME