Topic: UCX issues with Outboard compressor as well as noisy monitors: Help!

Hi guys,  a couple of issues with my new Fireface UCX, I would be very grateful if someone could help.

Firstly, I am getting a lot of crackly-type noise thorugh my monitors when connected to my UCX. They are connected to Analogue inputs 1&2, using (short) unbalanced 1/4" cables. The noise happens without any sound being played, and even without a DAW being open. The sounds amplifies when I touch the mouse, or turn the knob on the UCX, for as long as I touch it. Is this du to the unbalanced cables? I used the same cables with my previous Tascam interface and never had an issue.

Secondly:: I already posted this one on the LogicProHelp forum, so I'll jsut cut and paste so I don't have to write it again. I'm now thinking that this is to do with routing in Totalmix:

"I am having trouble concerning monitoring latency, when I run my outboard compressor (JLM Mac) there is a doubling up of the sound, this is whether i insert the 'I/O' plugin directly into an insert on the channel strip in question, or whether I route through busses on Aux channels; the original signal conflicts with the processed signal and I end up with a weird phase type effect. For example, when I insert the 'I/O' plugin on the 'Output' buss for mix-buss compression, and pass the signal through the compressor, I get the doubling up effect, and when I pull the fader all the way down, the processed signal goes with it but I still hear the original signal. Hitting the 'Ping button' does nothing to help. When I try and route the compressor through auxillary strips, for example setting the output of the channels being processed out to where the compressor is connected (in this case 3&4), then set the input of the Aux strip to come in from the compressor (in this case input 5&6), and have this strip coming out the normal Stereo Output, I get the doubling effect between the Stereo Output and Output 3&4.

I am running everything through an RME Fireface UCX interface, and I have done a 'total reset' of the RME's routing software, and this does nothing. Also, I should mention that when I RECORD the processed audio into a new channel, it comes out fine, so its obviously a monitoring issue (i assume)."

Hope this makes sense, if anyone can help I'd be very grateful, its driving me nuts!

Re: UCX issues with Outboard compressor as well as noisy monitors: Help!

Regarding 1 - Try TRS cables that may 'hide' the issue but it sounds like a grounding issue are the UCX and the computer both properly grounded?