Topic: Do any other Fireface series models have converters from Fireface 800?

I've heard nothing but awesome things about the clock and converters in the fireface 800 but I only need an interface that has 2 line inputs to be honest. I plan on recording drums at a studio and piano if needed and everything else at my house where two inputs will suffice.

The Fireface 800 has lots and lots of inputs so I'm wondering if the Fireface 400 or UC or UCX or UFX has the same converters so i can save some cash. If not, oh well, fireface 800 it is!

This is my first post,

Cheers!

Re: Do any other Fireface series models have converters from Fireface 800?

The good things you've heard about the FF800 certainly do apply to the other (later) FF models, too... cool

That said, no other device has the exact same combination of AD/DA converters. You will, however, find this combination in the ADI-2 converter, which would offer you 2 line inputs and outputs (plus phones) with SPDIF connectivity to essentially any SPDIF equipped audio interface.

Alternatively, the Babyface does have the same AD conversion and might suffice as well.

Other devices offer extra features that you may or may not find useful, like the UCK with iPad connectivity, or the UFX with USB recording, and the best conversion of all FF devices on paper.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

So the ADI-2 and babyface have the same quality converters as the fireface 800? Not necessarily the exact same because of the size of the ADI-2 and babyface but audibly will sound identical as the fireface 800 pres? Sorry, just a tad confused.

Neither of these devices is designed to "sound" any specific way, or even similar to another device. The goal is always to be as close to the source as possible. Trying to characterize or compare "sound quality" from similarities or differences in terms of AD or DA chips is moot.

As far as technical specs are concerned, the converters e.g. in the UFX are better than those of the FF 800.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks very much!