Topic: FireFace UFX and a Noob....

I have the FireFace UFX hooked up to windows via USB. I also have the Eleven Rack hooked into my PC via USB for the software interface I use in Pro Tools 10 to configure the 11r. The Eleven Rack is going to my UFX via AES/EBU and my UFX back to the Eleven Rack via AES/EBU.

I have a pretty beefy Windows 7 sp1 set up with an i7 at 3.6ghz and 12 cores with 32 gigs of ram.

Ok, here is the problem. Whenever I plug a line or mic into an input - let's say Analog 9, either 48v or inst, I get a signal back out to my headphones and monitors A and B. However, none of my DAW software applications will pick up the signal. For example, I do the following:

On the UFX input - Analog 9, I plug a 1/4 guitar cable in and plug that cable into my guitar. Then in TotalMix FX, in the hardware inputs, I Choose Mic 9 and select Inst. Then in TotalMix FX, in the Hardware Ouputs I select Analog 7/8 and I hit a chord on the guitar. I hear the guitar coming through my headphones on Phones 1 and Two, I also hear the Guitar through my Monitors. My main monitors are assigned to
AN 3/4 via the Main Out and my secondary Monitors are assigned to AN 5/6. However, if I open up Pro Tools 10 and select a track and assign 7/8 as the input and the proper output and arm the track, I get no signal in Pro Tools. I am kind of new to Pro Tools too. I am very familiar with Cubase. I open up Cuase 6.5, set up my connections for my Input Bus to Stereo - Left --> UFX AN 7 and Right --> UFX AN 8 input. Then I create a track in Cubase arm it and assign the bus I just created, ensuring again that the Hardware Outputs in TotalMix are Analog 7/8 and that my input bus is set up correctly, I still get no signal.

If, however, I plug my guitar or mic into the 11r and set the Hardware outs to AES and do the same in either Pro Tools or Cubase - everything works great. I obviously do not want to use my 11r has my main audio interface and miss all of the great things about the UFX. What can I do? What am I missing or doing wrong? I have read the manual , well most of it, watched YouTube videos etc but nothing seems to address my problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: FireFace UFX and a Noob....

you want to record input 9! That is where your guitar is coming into your UFX.

Isaac P

Thanks for the response Issac - Well, Analog 9 was my example but I want to record from any input, Guitar and/or Condenser Mic, I just cant get signal from my UFX to my DAW - Cubase 6.5 or Pro Tools 10 - I can see the signal routing correctly through TotalMix but no signal is getting to my software. I checked and double checked the inputs I am setting on tracks to ensure they match the input I am using on the UFX and the hardware output signal I can see on Total FX -

I just don't understand what I am doing wrong.
Thanks again Issac.

Screen shot of matrix view also helps for others to see how you are routing.

Thank You I will post one today - (everyone is very helpful here I really appreciate it)

[img align=L]http://downhomesound.com/UserFiles/user_11523/uploads/totalmix.PNG[/img]

Here is a screen shot of my TotalMix - thanks.

One thing I discovered that is new to me anyway. If I enable Loopback - I get the signal. Is this supposed to work this way? I read loopback and it seemed to be more for FXs - I could be wrong. Can someone set me straight?

Thank You so very much.

csailer wrote:

One thing I discovered that is new to me anyway. If I enable Loopback - I get the signal. Is this supposed to work this way? I read loopback and it seemed to be more for FXs - I could be wrong. Can someone set me straight?

Yes, it is supposed to work that way. Actually there are two methods of recording:
1. direct inputs
2. outputs (using the loopback button)

The first method is pre mixer, the second is post mixer. Use the first method if you want to record the signal as is. Use the second method if you want to use the mixer (fx, eq, dynamics, mix multiple channels into one, etc, etc)

Thanks syah -
I don't really want to go through the UFX Mixer the majority of the time. If I understood you correctly. I just want line in direct to my DAW - However, my DAW only gets a signal if I turn on the loopback button. Sometimes, I will want this. ut what am I doing wrong - or what are somethings that I could try to avoid using the loopback and go right into my DAW line in?

Thanks so much for your help and consideration.

Have you taken a Matrix view screen shot? The one you showed is only submix for AES output. To be able to see, from where to where you are routing signals, Matrix view is there. Hitting X key will get you there.

I think you are close to figure out the first maze of Total Mix.

Hi Massaki,
Here is my Matrix - If I hit the loopback button I do get a signal to my DAW. But I'd rather not do that in all situations.
Thanks for your help

http://downhomesound.com/UserFiles/user_11523/uploads/matrix.PNG

12 (edited by Masaaki 2012-10-10 07:29:50)

As Isaac pointed out in the first reply, assignment of 7/8 for input is wrong in this case. You plugged the guitar in Analog 9, and that is the channel you need to choose for the input for pro tools/cubase to record. The reason you can record when you hit loopback is because you activated loopback for AN7/8, which is monitoring output channel, but DAW takes these channels as input. SO, in Cubase for example in the VST connection, Input 7 and 8 are actually output 7 and 8 from Total Mix.

Is this confusing? Yes, in the beginning, but you'll gradually get it.
Take a look at the manual, where RME explained Hardware input, Software Playback, and Hardware ouput using diagram. The general overview of that diagram helps you understand what Total Mix does.

Hi Masaaki,
Thanks so much. Yes, its a little confusing but I think, as you said, I will get used to it..and it does make sense when you think about it. Thank you very much for all of your help it was nice of you
to take the time to help me.

Hope this is relevant to the thread.

A few days aogo I did my first recording using UFX, four mikes through a pre amp using AN 1, 2, 3 and 4, as well as 3 mikes directly to inputs mic 9, mic 10 and mic 11 of the UFX
Everything went well regarding recording.
BUT - and here is my question - I was only able to monitor the mikes directly using a headset and outputs 11/12
What I could not figure out was how to monitor the output of my DAW, and switch between listening to the two.
I know this is something simple, but - ??
Best
Arni

Hey Arni,
I have the same situation - I am just starting to understand the routing concepts. For me, its more just hacking to get it to work. So, unfortunately I cannot give you a solid answer. I will watch this closely. There are some really helpful and knowledgeable people on this site.

The_hog wrote:

Hope this is relevant to the thread.

A few days aogo I did my first recording using UFX, four mikes through a pre amp using AN 1, 2, 3 and 4, as well as 3 mikes directly to inputs mic 9, mic 10 and mic 11 of the UFX
Everything went well regarding recording.
BUT - and here is my question - I was only able to monitor the mikes directly using a headset and outputs 11/12
What I could not figure out was how to monitor the output of my DAW, and switch between listening to the two.
I know this is something simple, but - ??
Best
Arni

To be able to monitor what's coming in when you mic'ing up (direct monitoring), you need to raise all the faders (for those mic in and line in channels) up WHILE you are looking at headphone submix. If you are using Phone 1, then click on the Phone 1 on the lower right section (control room section). If any of those faders for your mics or lines are down to -infinity, that's the reason why you don't hear the incoming signals. DAW will take those signals REGARDLESS of the monitoring, and that's why recording is successful.

Hope this makes sense.

17 (edited by The_hog 2012-10-11 19:07:54)

Masaaki
Thanks a lot for your input.  I think what you are describing is exactly what I was able to do (this was all in the stress of a live performance) i.e. listening to the mikes them self.  No problem there.

What I was unable to figure out on the spot was how to listen to the DAW (I use Studio One 2) instead of the mikes.
In fact I could see the output of the DAW working on AN 1/2 on Software Playback in Totalmixer.

I just did not find a way to listen to that output (AN 1/2 in Software Playback) in stead of the mikes in the cans at the time.

The_hog wrote:

What I was unable to figure out on the spot was how to listen to the DAW (I use Studio One 2) instead of the mikes.
In fact I could see the output of the DAW working on AN 1/2 on Software Playback in Totalmixer.

Okay, then the same thing. Click on the Phone 1 on the control room section, and move the fader of the AN1/2 of the software playback section.

You can actually play windows media player (or other MP3 player), and tell the OS (Sound control panel in Win 7) which channles of UFX will play back from the OS. For example, Studio One output goes to AN1/2 of sotware playback channels, while AN3/4 gets signal from windows media player. Then, monitor them at the same time from your headphone 1.

Not all the interface can do this...if you've ever experienced others.

19 (edited by The_hog 2012-10-12 10:24:09)

Great Masaaki, case solved - :-)