Topic: Using Optical Toslink instead of Firewire or USB on the Fireface UFX

I would like to try using the optical in on my fireface rather then using USB. I would to do an A/B comparison to see which one is better. Can i do this? If so show me how please.

Re: Using Optical Toslink instead of Firewire or USB on the Fireface UFX

You can not compare the two, one is an audio transfer, while USB is data with embedded audio. There is no possible difference in terms of sound quality.

If you want to use the optical in, you will need a suitable optical SPDIF output soure on your computer. Is there one?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I only have optical out on Mac Pro 6 Core

So how do i do it? everything is connected and i can't hear any sound coming out of my focal twins.

What does "everything is connected" refer to? What are you doing to play back sound...?
Please be very specific and detailed. Are you trying to do some kind of comparison?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

6 (edited by JuanPaulino 2012-10-12 13:37:28)

I have an optical toslink cable connected from mac optical out to the fireface  ufx adat optical in. I have my focal twins connected to the xlr outputs of the fire face. When i switch to usb i hear music and when i switch to optical out in my prefrences on my mac, i hear nothing. I have two aftermarket cables,a usb one and toslink one. I just want to know which is better.

Trying to compare USB and optical for "audio quality" is quite pointless...
In any case, to hear the SPDIF through the UFX, you will need to connect to ADAT 2 and then you need to route signal to the desired output in the mixer. This will help: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5039

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Got it working thanks, and your right i could hear no difference, it was pointless.