Topic: Power supply for Babyface?

Hi.
Thanks for Babyface.

My question is:
I want to make my sound quality better.
So, I would like to add an external batery that will feed Babyface with electricity, and use your yusb cable just to send data from pc to Babyface.
Is it possible and how to do that?
Please help.
R.

Re: Power supply for Babyface?

By using the external power supply jack.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

OK, thanks.
I hope Babyface will notice external power supply and will stop receive electricity from computer.
Yet, I would like to hear how does it precisely works from anybody who tried that , and what's the result.

Thanks everyone here.

Robbertino

The engineers who designed Babyface are not stupid, leaves power usb and concentrate on the sound that you produce to make it better. :-)

www.bonisaudio.com

They are not stupid, but I'm afraid for my device cause
I have very strong 12.5 V battery
so I do not want to risk with aditional 5 or 6 V from comp.

Thanks

6 (edited by Zapp 2012-10-10 22:40:10)

robbertino wrote:

They are not stupid, but I'm afraid for my device cause
I have very strong 12.5 V battery

This does not matter, the capacity of the battery is important for time beeing usable.

robbertino wrote:

...so I do not want to risk with aditional 5 or 6 V from comp.

Afaik there is a circuitry (probably diodes) preventing the voltage beeing added, no Problem in any way.

Regards
Zapp

Thanks folks.
Today I bought cheap (9.60 euro) power supply (with options 2.5 V, 5V, ..., 12 V),
and I didn't notice any change in sound (for now). (With windows 7 + Fidelizer + Sony Sound Forge.)
Just to share it with you.
(Path: Notebook  -> Babyface -> Pass Aleph -> Speakers).

8 (edited by Zapp 2012-10-10 22:39:43)

There will be no change in audio quality regardless what you use.
The only thing I can imagine is less noise and interferences using a battery as source.

Regards
Zapp

I would note for others interested in this topic that it has been discussed in this forum in the past.

The power supply for the BabyFace (and other RME devices taking battery power) is very flexible.  The voltage requirements are shown on the label on the underside of the Babyface (6 - 12V).  In previous posts it has been confirmed that it will safely accept power from a car battery system (nominal 12.6V, maximum on charge about 14V). It needs a power supply capable of delivering at least 1A.

It will also accept AC as well as DC, which means that you do not have to be careful about the polarity of the DC connection.  And it is very good at rejecting noise on the external power.

And connecting an external power supply means no current is drawn from the USB connection (saving drain on the laptop/netbook ... iPad??? ... battery).

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

@ panatrope ... what is  rejecting noise ?

if the conventional mathematical formulas and electronics rules are still valid this could be a functional scheme...
[img align=L]http://www.xstreme.it/adjv.jpg[/img]

www.bonisaudio.com

11 (edited by robbertino 2012-10-11 21:14:02)

Ok guys.
I've never seen an audio device that isn't  dependent of the
kind of electricity source. YET.
Recently my student took a cd player and made it a really nice device
by giving to almost every important part a quality power source.

But, maybe RME engineers really know how to do it.
So, on this forum no one spot the difference (in sound) between usb Babyface and battery powered Babyface.
Ok. I'll check with my devices and cables.

In the real ...game... with the odiern standards adopted in the construction of electronic components a quality P.S. is easy to make, i have a analog Tektronix 100 MHz oscilloscope and  when observing the ripple of many P.S. (also switching P.S.) the ripple is very barely visible (mostly visible only instrumentally). cool

www.bonisaudio.com

13 (edited by panatrope 2012-10-11 23:16:16)

bonis wrote:

@ panatrope ... what is  rejecting noise ?

Noise on dc is some remaining ac harmonic content on the rectified dc, clicks, interference, switching transients and ripple control tones from the mains itself. 

If, as is possible, ac is used, then this could be regarded as pure noise with no dc.  A good internal power supply/regulator can rectify and remove all the ac harmonics leaving only dc with virtually no ac content.

Electronic circuits of balanced configuration are often designed to further reject (or cancel out) noise on the power supply ("common mode rejection") to achieve low noise levels such as the Babyface demonstrates..

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

14 (edited by bonis 2012-10-11 23:55:39)

panatrope wrote:

Noise on dc is some remaining ac harmonic content on the rectified dc, clicks, interference, switching transients and ripple control tones from the mains itself.

uhm... do you like this ..?.. Ripple

www.bonisaudio.com

15 (edited by bonis 2012-10-12 21:54:43)

A LM317T noise (look the VOLTS/DIV selector  ---> 2 mV !! )

[img align=c]http://www.xstreme.it/xrip.jpg[/img]

www.bonisaudio.com