Topic: Pre Sales Query - Running multiple FW 800s on separate firewire buses

Hi.

I have a FW800 and have read about the bus considerations when running in Double and Quad Speed.

My question is this. If I get another FW800 and hook both FF's to a Mac Pro using separate Firewire cards, will I be able to utilise ADAT and all analogue channels on both units as an aggregate device in Logic. I only want to work at 44.1KHz.

The bandwidth & channel count aside, would the system have a driver issue now since the two cards are not daisy chained and therefore presumably cannot see each other.

Please advise.

Best Regards,
Brian.

Re: Pre Sales Query - Running multiple FW 800s on separate firewire buses

Anyone?

Re: Pre Sales Query - Running multiple FW 800s on separate firewire buses

Hi Brian,

Hardware-wise, you should not encounter any problem, since separate FW busses have enough bandwidth to handle a FF800 with all it's analog and digital ports in use, as long as you don't stress your system processor/ram limits. And don't forget to check your FW card controller compatibility to avoid any issues in that department too.

Software-wise, I think it will depend on the DAW you choose. In my experience, Pro Tools have a hard time dealing with MacOS aggregate devices, while Logic handle it gracefully.

Hope this help.

see ya