Topic: Latest Update to Babyface and monitoring at low digital output level

Hi

I've been a happy Babyface owner for over a year now.

I tend to listen to the Babyface with the main fader attenuated to around -40db in TotalMix.
I always felt that the sound was clearer (less bass, tighter, more hights, transiants or lack off more noticeable) when the babyface wasn't attenuating the signal by so much and my montitor input sensitivity reduced. However as my monitors reduce at fixed steps I found the steps didn't attenuate the signal by equal amounts, and would end up with different output for both speakers, so kept the setup as previously described.

I know some people suggest to never attenuate the digital signal, but on the other hand the excepted technical wisdom seems to be this shouldn't be an issue until you start to attenuate by a signficant amount (from memory I believe this was around -55db). So had planned to buy an analog attenuator to go between the babyface and my monitors, which I never got around to.

The reason for my post is that I seem to think that after installing the most recent firmware (186) and drivers (1.025), that listening at the low levels has subjectively "improved" in a similar manner when not attenuating the digital signal but at the monitor.

Did the latest updates make any change to the digital attenuation? I noticed in the flash update readme it refers to an Internal Change, no bugfix.

Have to admit I'm a little embarassed to post the above as it's only a subjective observation (which is generally disputed in the first place), but I thought if there's a place to pose this curious finding this would be the best place :-)

cheers

Re: Latest Update to Babyface and monitoring at low digital output level

There is no change - digital attenuation is digital attenuation, there is no magic to make it better... cool
An analog attenuator may be the best solution - or a different setting on the monitors, if possible.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. I thought that might be the answer (No magic involved? What! I want a refund! :-) )

Do you / RME believe there are subjective audible differences with digital attenuation?

cheers

Sorry, magic comes at a premium, and is only available if you know the secret formula...

I'd say no audible difference besides a gradually increasing noise floor.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME