Topic: Babyface latency problems...

hello,
i received the interface today and i'm having some issues about the latency...

i'm an electronic music producer and i use a lot of plugins. i work with FL Studio 10, Quad Core with 4gb ram. windows 7, 64bits.

on my m-audio 410 i work with 512 buffer and it runs nice, not great but there's no pops and unwanted noises while producing...

i was expecting a much lower buffer size for Babyface, but even at 2048 the sound gets a lot of pops and cracks...

i've installed the latest drivers and firmware for Babyface.

any help, please?

Re: Babyface latency problems...

Did you try this ?

-----------------------

Various ADK computers :-)

hey alex,

yes. there's no red peeks. it's always around 200 to 500. sometimes goes to 1000. but it's really rare...

Are there errors counted up in the BF Settings dialog when these noises occur? Any other USB devices that could be connected to a different port?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

hi matthias,
there's no errors in the bf settings dialog. i've also tried to connect it to all my 6 usb ports and still with the same problem...

really frustrating.

Sometimes, motherboard has a built in wifi, and it's on. You want to disable that at BIOS level.
Another thing is power performance set to "high performance". Check DPC latency again.
In my experience, USB interfaces are more prone to be offended by the DPC latency spikes even around 1000 us. FW interfaces often 'get around' the spikes. I think you need to figure out how to lower the base value of the DPC latency. For quad core CPUs, 200-500 seems very high to me. I won't say that system is 'optimized for audio'.

hello masaaki,
i've done all that and still having problems even with 2048 buffer size... actually, i'm understanding the DPC Latency Checker better now, and it's usually around 150-200. it's my machine normal current latency. i guess it's "normal", right?

the program was open all morning and the absolute maximum was at 450, +-.

i've also tested deactivating all visual content for the best performance possible, and it doesnt solve anything.

I can't say it's going to solve your problem, but try disabling CD/DVD player's driver from Device manager, and check the DPC latency again. You may see some better numbers of DPC latency.

Also, does it happen with 'lots of plug ins' you mentioned in the first post? Or, does it happen even you have just a few plugins?
If this happens with just a few plugins, your unit may require service.

Another thing worth trying is to use with another PC, if you have some available. Some USB chips have some troubles, and your motherboard may require firmware updates. If you know the particular manufacture of your motherboard, check the version number of the board, and then check their web site.

One more thing to try is to download Reaper and try your plugins with Babyface. Reaper is extremely 'lean' program, and uses much less resources than other DAWs. If you still see the same problem with Reaper, you can say it's DAW-independent.

9 (edited by mandioca 2012-10-20 14:32:42)

i've disable the cd/dvd player and the latency went down a bit. now it's normally at 80-100 without my daw open. with daw open and it goes around 200 max.

using the same buffer size (512) as my old m-audio 410, the babyface don't work properly. that's what makes me feeling a lot frustrated. i honestly was hoping to work with a better buffer sizer, particulary when the final-mixing-stage is happening. didnt get any kind of this problems using the m-audio 410 in the mixing stage, since the buffer was at 512. ocasionaly some peaks occured, but nothing compared with the babyface.

in the begining process, the interface works fine, still gets a bit of latency but is nothing compared with the mixing stage. even at the maximum of 2048 i have pops on sound...

i've tried with traktor pro 2 and same thing happens. even working with a latency of 512 (13.0) when i start using some effxs, i get pops and cracks.

will try to check if my firmware is up to date. will post it later.

*edit: i've deactivate some usb ports and the latency is now at 30-50. without daw and/or traktor pro 2 working.

I think I have the same problem. Working on a Macbook Pro 13", 2,54GHz Core2Duo, 4GB RAM, enough space on harddisk.
DAW is Ableton Live and Pro Tools 9. Snow Leopard as OS.

In my latest project I have about 45% CPU usage in Ableton Live. When using the internal sound output of the notebook I don`t hear any pops or whatelse. But when I use Babyface as interface I get big latency problems (at least it seems like latency problems) although Ableton tells me that i just use 45%. I can`t even start a normal playback because it gets very noisy and clipping.

I can`t play my latest liveset when using Babyface too. Before I bought Babyface I had to borrow a M-Audio Fast Track Pro from a friend for live gigs. Worked flawless, no latency problems.

And no, the tracks aren`t clipping, everything is well leveled and gainstaged smile

Babyface is the first USB interface I bought, just was using FW interfaces before (Digidesign 003 for instance). I never ever had those problems with the FW interfaces.

Everything else is working very well with the Babyface, I really love it. But this latency problems are driving me crazy.

Can there anything be done to fix that problem?

thank`s and cheers,
Thomas

after some actions, the DPC Latency Checker is currently lower than before. it's around 40/80 without any sound being played. i've deactivate the cd/dvd and some usb ports, firewire, etc.

still really don't know why do i have to do all this since with my old interface everything was running properly. didn't get any kind of problems with it and i have the Babyface since yesterday and i can't work propely with it. i thought i could get a much lower latency than my old interface...

won't update my Bios, because it's a very complex process (for my knowledge) and if everything goes wrong i won't be able to use my motherboard anymore... won't touch it.

no help from the RME support guys?...

here's my machine specs:
my motherboard is Asus P5KPL / EPU
processor is Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz (4M Cache)
chipset is Intel Bearlake G31 / Revision 10
Intel(R) G33/G31/P35 Express Chipset Processor to I/O Controller - 29C0

GPU: PCI Express 2.0 x16: MSI R4350 (MS-V161) 110MHz (600MHz)
Winbond W83627DHG-P (ISA 290h)
Diode (ATI-Diode)
ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series (512 MB)

PSU: ATX Switching Power Supply
model: LC400hc v1.3

BIOS 0404 (latest update)

2x Kingston (2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
Windows 7 64Bit Ultimate (SP1)

i think that's it. not sure... i've been looking around for the last couple of hours.

hello,
any RME support guys available to help me?...
i emailed RME and still no reply.

14 (edited by vinark 2012-10-22 15:28:16)

Go into the bios and disable the power safe options for the cpu.
See if the radeon driver can be updated. There was a whole bunch of radeon drivers that caused crackles here. Also make sure onboard chipset video is disabled in bios. I also have a second system using a P5K motherboard (p35 Chipset) and it works 100% ok. With a pci interface I can run at 64 samples. I don´t have a babyface.

Do you have the asus epu software installed? If yes uninstall it, mayor troubles!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Hi Vinark,
thanks for the tips.
the Safe Power on BIOS is off by default. my Radeon drivers are up to date. i don't have any Asus software installed.

it runs here at 64samples but it's just on Windows Media Player or Winamp Media Player. not when making music.

AFAIK the buffer settings have no effect on WMP or Winamp. I run cubase at 64 samples and on my main system, a P5Q with Q9550  and even also at 32 samples (also PCI not usb). That is a quadcore of the same generation as yours (only a little faster but not that much).
If you open task manager what does it say when you hear the crackling. Is the load spread evenly among cores?

You could try Reaper, it has great audio performance and is free to evaluate.

Vincent, Amsterdam

17 (edited by mandioca 2012-10-22 17:43:20)

ok. i can run FL Studio with a very low Buffer Size, but not on final-mixing-stage when i have a lot of plugins working. even with 256buffer samples i get pops/cracks

on Task Manager i get a lot (60-70) of CPU usage for FL Studio, on heavy projects, such as final-mixing-stages projects.

i think it's being distributed by all cores... what do you think?
[img align=CPU USAGE]http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/9356/a013537fa4434a9eafdee09.png[/img]

18 (edited by vinark 2012-10-22 17:52:04)

Yes equal, but also very high. It is normal that audio breaks at this cpu level. Depending how even the load is anything above 75% can break up. Remember that although rme drivers are very good, they don´t give you a faster cpu rotfl . From my experience their drivers are better then others. With my old card audio would break at 55% and with my rme pci at 80%. And remember that USB is a little worse then PCI.

Vincent, Amsterdam

so, this is the normal function for RME Babyface? no more tweaks possible?
i think i've done all things possible... at least for my knowledge.
disable all devices for the same USBport as RME, disable all devices that weren't being used, such as CD/DVD, onboard audio+video devices, etc.
updated Chipset, Radeon, and all Windows latest update files.

not sure what can i do more to a get better performance.

a new motherboard will give me a better performance? i guess yes, but any sugestions on which one is good and it's not that high price?

but not on final-mixing-stage when i have a lot of plugins working. even with 256buffer samples i get pops/cracks

When mixing is it a problem to have high latency ?
It's very common when mixing to let the music play and just
adjust levels, EQ etc or is the latency a big problem with plug-ins as well ?

regards S-EH

I don't think babyface, or even high end UFX will solve your problem, as long as you have this high CPU load with lots of plugins. Tweaks are possible if you are willing to test leaner DAW such as Reaper, and test plugins one by one, and eliminate/replace CPU-hog plugins. This not the problem of babyface, to be honest, but it is some problems with your DAW/plugin/computer system.

S-E Hansson wrote:

but not on final-mixing-stage when i have a lot of plugins working. even with 256buffer samples i get pops/cracks

When mixing is it a problem to have high latency ?
It's very common when mixing to let the music play and just
adjust levels, EQ etc or is the latency a big problem with plug-ins as well ?

regards S-EH

when i'm at the begining process, working on vsti or something similiar, it's all good. no latency issue.
the latency problem happens when i have a lot of plugins working, like in the final-mixing stage. tweaking EQ's, automations, etc. leaving it playing to adjust in real-time is almost impossible with a 256samples buffer size.

I don't think babyface, or even high end UFX will solve your problem, as long as you have this high CPU load with lots of plugins. Tweaks are possible if you are willing to test leaner DAW such as Reaper, and test plugins one by one, and eliminate/replace CPU-hog plugins. This not the problem of babyface, to be honest, but it is some problems with your DAW/plugin/computer system.

should i get mor RAM? or need to buy a new motherboard with a better chipset?

More ram doesn´t help at all. Better chipset maybe 1%. Better  and faster cpu, will help, but you might also need new motherboard and ram. I think the fastest cpu on this motherboard is q9650 or 9550 but will be only an increase of 30%

Vincent, Amsterdam

24 (edited by mandioca 2012-10-22 20:10:52)

well, those CPU's are a bit expensive... 300€/400€.
no more tips?

this is so damn frustrating

*edit: does my current situation (weak cpu) in any way will affect the sound quality through Babyface? or it's just affecting the performance in real-time tasks?

mandioca wrote:

ok. i can run FL Studio with a very low Buffer Size, but not on final-mixing-stage when i have a lot of plugins working. even with 256buffer samples i get pops/cracks

on Task Manager i get a lot (60-70) of CPU usage for FL Studio, on heavy projects, such as final-mixing-stages projects.

i think it's being distributed by all cores... what do you think?
[img align=CPU USAGE]http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/9356/a013537fa4434a9eafdee09.png[/url]

At mixing stage, get your buffer up as high as you need, it does'nt matter anymore.

-----------------------

Various ADK computers :-)

mandioca wrote:

well, those CPU's are a bit expensive... 300€/400€.
no more tips?

this is so damn frustrating

*edit: does my current situation (weak cpu) in any way will affect the sound quality through Babyface? or it's just affecting the performance in real-time tasks?

Only performance!

Here in the Netherlands you can get a second hand Q9550 for €100 with a little patience and get €50 back for your old one.

One other thing, your cpu isn´t that weak. Maybe it is just one or two plugins you use a lot that are overly cpu hungry. When you are running such a project, see if disabling certain plugins makes a lot of difference and maybe look for an alternative.

Good luck
Vincent

Vincent, Amsterdam

alexoosthoek wrote:

At mixing stage, get your buffer up as high as you need, it does'nt matter anymore.

+1000!!!
You don't need super-low buffer when mixing.

Macmini '19 3.2 GHz 6-Core i7, 32GB RAM, MacOS 10.15.2, LogicProX 10.4.8, FF400, UAD2 Satellite Octo

vinark wrote:

Here in the Netherlands you can get a second hand Q9550 for €100 with a little patience and get €50 back for your old one.
Vincent

already looking for a new Q9650 or Q9550.

thanks to all users that reply and helped me.

will let you guys know what's my current situation when i have a new CPU.

all the best.

29 (edited by mandioca 2012-10-25 16:30:48)

hello,

just got the Intel Q9550 and it's working great! final-mixing-stage with 256buffer size (CPU load at 40%). just the way i initially thought when i bought the Babyface.
perfect! wink

thanks to all guys that helped me.

all the best.

Wow that is fast. And good to hear it worked out!

Vincent

Vincent, Amsterdam