Topic: New RME UFX/TotalMix user

hey gang,

I'm new to the forums and RME gear in general, and I recently picked up a new Mac & UFX to use with Pro Tools 10.  I've gone through the manual, and watched a few tutorials, but I've still been having a hard time wrapping my head around TotalMix.  The main issue I'm having is that I can hear a track's input whether the track is record armed in Pro Tools or not.   Previously I was always only able to hear a track's input once it became record armed, which is handy for quickly muting whatever is happening in the live room if I want to focus on or tweak something else.  I'm sure it's something simple.  Can anyone here point me in the right direction?   I've taken a couple screen shots, if it's of any help.   Let me know if you guys need more info. 

Thanks in advance,

M

http://i.imgur.com/X67lI.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2skYE.jpg

Re: New RME UFX/TotalMix user

Hi M,

Looking at your screen shot you have a signal coming in on channel 12 that is routed inside the UFX to the main outputs.  If you do not want to hear this just drop the fader for channel 12 with the routing submix and the main outputs selected which is how it is set in the top screen shot. 

Then when the track is record armed in Pro Tools it will be routed to the outputs set up in Pro Tools. 

Hope that helps :-)

Tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply!

When I lower the channel 12 fader, the track becomes inaudible whether it is record armed in Pro Tools or not.  The Pro Tools track output is set to Analog 1-2. The weird thing is, when I switch the tracks output to any other channels, it behaves how I want it to *except* there is a huge amount of latency (much more than what would occur with my old Digi 002). So, I'm a bit confused at this point, and I've got a band coming to record for the weekend, so I would really like to have this sorted out by then. 

Thanks,

Mitch

Update:  I just lowered the hardware buffer size in Pro Tools to 64 samples, which seems to help reduce the latency. I feel like this isn't the "correct" workaround, and I still don't understand why the PT track outputs all work as if they were Analog 1-2, but as long as this gets me through the weekend, I'll worry about that after. Any further insight would be great. 

Thanks,

M

If you are going to monitor through Pro Tools you will have the problem with latency when I am working with a band I use Total Mix to set up the monitor feeds.  This way there's no latency and if you need a bit of reverb you can use the built in effects on the UFX just on the monitor mix and record dry.