Topic: Using HDSPe ExpressCard in desktop PC with PCIe converter

Hi,
My ExpressCard-slot-equipped-laptop is getting dated, and I'm replacing it with a desktop PC.

My question is: can I plug HDSPe ExpressCard to a cheap ExpressCard-to-PCIe adapter, and expect my Multiface II to work reliably?

The desktop PC is a Win7 machine with Asus P8Z77-V LK motherboard.

The EC->PCIe adapter is like this (in Finnish, sorry) http://www.jimms.fi/tuote/SX-123A

Any other (affordable) alternatives?

Thanks!

Re: Using HDSPe ExpressCard in desktop PC with PCIe converter

I was in the same situation.  This one Expresscard converter has worked perfectly for me over the past year.  I think the one I purchased is out of production though.

Ok, good to hear! Thanks for the reply!

4 (edited by Seccione 2012-10-29 07:05:18)

Ok, it didn't go as smoothly as I hoped for...

I ended up getting Delock ExpressCard to PCIe adapter.
First I tried it in two PCIe x1 slots, but Multiface II / HDSPe card wasn't recognized at all. I checked BIOS settings, didn't find anything relevant, and PCIe power savings are disabled in Windows 7.

Then I moved the adapter to one of those big PCIe x16 slots, and the HDSPe card was found!
I managed to install drivers, but after reboot it didn't work, Device Manager saying that "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)"
After another reboot it worked fine again! After yet another reboot it fails etc etc... (No pattern, seems to be random.)

My situation is pretty much identical to this case, except that in my machine the RME Hammerfall DSP is located under sound devices in Device Manager.

I'm afraid that this might have something to do with the chip set, but maybe I should test this with another ExpressCard->PCIe adapter...?
Any other tips that I could try, anyone?

Edit - Here's the setup:

Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4 GHz LGA1155
Asus P8Z77-V LK Intel Z77 LGA1155
G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 1600 Mhz 16GB (2 x 8GB) (running 1333 MHz, working with that)
CZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS 120GB SSD SATA III
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

(Note: I'm using the integrated GPU)