Topic: Macbook Pro retina / Fireface 400 = not working !!

I've just received the thunderbolt/firewire adaptator to connect my Fireface 400 with my new macbook pro retina (using a firewire 400/800 wire).
Result : doesn't work, the power comes just for one second then blinks and goes off. I've looked on the web to get some infos and it seems that with this configuration, the bus doesn't deliver enough power. It depends on witch interface you're using (I've read that some Motu's works)
Fortunately, I plugged the power plug and it works fine. But it's a shame that this things happens on a such expensive new laptop...for now, I'll have to take with me the power supply of the Fireface 400...not cool !
Hope it'll help some of you or prevent to have the same problem.

Re: Macbook Pro retina / Fireface 400 = not working !!

This is fully normal. The TB port delivers about 10 W. From these the TB cable takes 2-3 W itself. The 400 needs about 12 Watts, so it would not have worked anyway...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I have the same problem as you, I bought a BabyFace just not to be forced to use the Retina's converters when there's no AC.
I now imagine a rack that would contain a FireWire400 + QuadMic + Octamic, two removable batteries, and a battery charger... using this setup together with a BabyFace as an aggregate device, I could theorically record 16 mics and 2 instruments simultaneously without AC... unfortunately I'm too clumsy & ignorant to design such a box myself, but if somebody had such a thing for sale I'd buy it instantly.

BTW the original Octamic used to run on DC but Octamic II runs on AC only, can it be changed ?

Thanx

Sorry, no.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hey, i have the same problem. My old Macbook Pro Mid 2010 broke, and i bought the new Retina one with an TB to firewire adaptor. So my fireface 400 doesn´t work anymore. If i´d known that before... So is there any way to get it work? If i use the DC in?
Thanks,
friod

Simply use the external power supply that came with your FF400 or any other that fits the specifications.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Yes I confirm, now I use it with the external power supply and it works fine.
Cheers,
Tony

Ok, thanks!

Hi, I use Macbook Pro retina + Fireface 800, it's still not working does it because the TB to FW800 adaptor?