Topic: Random Pops From SPDIF Now

I was running the win_fire_3016.zip drivers for my FireFace 800. I just updated to the latest win_fire_3033.zip drivers.  I run Windows 7 64-bit.   With no other changes other than the drivers, I hear random pops from my monitors. It doesn't seem to always happen though. Now I see nothing on the input from TotalMix (and hear nothing). Earlier though, there were a few pops heard from the monitors and shown on the input in TotalMix from SPDIF. I have an AES/EBU device connected, and I noticed this right after playing audio in Sonar 8.5. The pops continued even after closing Sonar. They seemed to have been random noise.

I had never noticed this with the previous 3016 drivers, and there have been nother other changes other than me returning the mixer to the levels I had previously.  I had followed the readme file and CTRL-clicked on preset 1, which caused me to lose all levels set in the mixer.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Re: Random Pops From SPDIF Now

Check your sync settings in the Fireface settings app.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

3 (edited by panatrope 2010-12-09 23:33:55)

I have seen a similar problem with my FF400 running on XP SP3, with FF400 1.70 and driver 3.031.  I was previously running 3.015 and updated to 3.031 two days before my last field recording described below.

I used my usual set-up for this job.  My Nagra V records the main mic pair, and then the AES out from the Nagra goes to the SPDIF (FF control panel - SPDIF preferred sync source - sync indicated) where the additional microphones are added to for the multi-track recording using REAPER.  Sampling freq 44100 all round.  Same set-up used many times before. The mix was monitored during recording using TotalMix but the monitoring location is not good so monitoring is mainly for confidence and production reasons.

On playing back in my DAW, I heard occasional 'pops' which on investigation were coming only from the stereo track of the main pair/SPDIF input.  I checked the Nagra recording of the same signal and they were not there, so they occurred between the Nagra output and the recording in REAPER via the SPDIF.  I do not normally monitor the FF control panel during recording, so at the moment I cannot say if there was any loss of sync shown on the SPDIF link at the time.

I have concentrated so far on restoring the recording for broadcast, so I have not forensically investigated the nature of the 'pops' but will do so in future.  However, the nature of the problem described above seems prima facae to be the same as I have experienced, hence this report.   The recording setup can be precisely replicated for diagnostic purposes if you have any suggestions.  Sounds like rolling back to the previous driver could be the first step.

(SPDIF is the only area I have encountered problems with the FF400 - remember the 'sync to 96K' issue a couple of years back?)

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

Jeff wrote:

Clock Source: SPDIF, Current SPDIF, TMS checked off

Input Status:

SPDIF, Sync, 44100 Hz

Sonar Producer was/is set to 44.1kHz, 16-bit audio via ASIO

I will keep an eye on it and try changing drivers, if I the problem shows again.

Further to my report above, I have now compared the Nagra file with the copy recorded digitally in REAPER via the SPDIF, which was set as preferred sync reference, and shown as in sync.   Sample rate was 44100

Aligning exact points in the waveform at the start and end of the two files, I noted that in a period of approximately 35 minutes there were approximately 18100 more samples in the REAPER file than in the Nagra original (a time difference of about 400ms). This implies that despite the FF400 being synced to the Nagra, REAPER appears to have been clocked by the FF400 driver at a slightly higher frequency.    Inspecting one or two of the clicks shows waveform discontinuity, but so far I have not been able to determine if data is missing or data is being repeated compared to the original, and how much.

As the FF400 has not been used since the original recording gig, the next step is to reconnect everything as per original recording, which I can even simulate by playing back the original Nagra recording.  Other commitments have not made this possible, but I hope to try it in the next few days.  Trying it with the previous driver (3.015) is also a possibility.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone other than Jamil has recently experienced a similar occurrence when using SPDIF input as sync reference during recording.

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

Jeff wrote:

I'm also getting pops in my S/PDIF audio recording as well.  Seems ok with balanced inputs from same device (VG-99)

Not sure what to look for in the sync settings.  Can you provide a little more detail?   

I have an older FF800 that was just repaired/upgraded to deal with the headphone pop/click issues with the current drivers.  That's ok now, and I'm current.

Driver date:           17.12.10
  Driver version:        3.034
  Hardware Revision:  2.77

I'm running Win7 64 bit.
My S/PDIF input signal is from a Roland VG-99 guitar processor.

thanks

this is deplorable! why has this gone unanswered?

i have a fireface 400 and am running an apogee Mini-ME into it by SDIF coaxial.

you can send a signal through the apogee and monitor it through the fireface. you will here these high fuzzy 'pop' sounds... almost like an old skool open hihat sound from early analog drum machines. it's a hissy sort of scratchy crackle every few seconds... RENDERING THE DEVICE USELESS.

HELLO? is there an answer. i bought a FF400 which has a SPDIF listed and i got a FF400 without a SPDIF because it's useless.

has this been figured out on a different thread? i've goodled a good bit and found nothing.

caseyforever wrote:

this is deplorable! why has this gone unanswered?

i have a fireface 400 and am running an apogee Mini-ME into it by SDIF coaxial.

you can send a signal through the apogee and monitor it through the fireface. you will here these high fuzzy 'pop' sounds... almost like an old skool open hihat sound from early analog drum machines. it's a hissy sort of scratchy crackle every few seconds... RENDERING THE DEVICE USELESS.

HELLO? is there an answer. i bought a FF400 which has a SPDIF listed and i got a FF400 without a SPDIF because it's useless.

has this been figured out on a different thread? i've goodled a good bit and found nothing.

Are you using win7 64 bit too?

Drummer and sound engineer for The Knutz

caseyforever wrote:

There is definitely no problem with the SPDIF input. You have probably simply applied incorrect sync settings. The FF will need to sync to the incoming SPDIF signal, therefore set it to Autosync or SPDIF clock.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME