Topic: Clicks/glitches on MacBook Pro (retina display) + RME FF 400

MacBook Pro (retina display, Mountain Lion) + RME FF 400 (via thunderbolt to FW adapter, latest drivers/firmware 3.12/1.70) + Clementine player (any format)
I hear sporadic clicks/glitches (approximately every 20 seconds) - any suggestions on how to solve it (or at least to how to start the investigation)?

Re: Clicks/glitches on MacBook Pro (retina display) + RME FF 400

Have you tried any other audio apps? Could be a problem with the app.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks for the quick answer. Tried a variety of software. Same result. Interesting, but I've got the same "clicks" when being on Skype as well. Anymore ideas please?

Anything connected to the ADAT, SPDIF or Word Clock I/O on the Fireface?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Actually no. I've unplugged everything. But right now paid an attention that 2 FW slots on the card were connected to cables. First cable was void (other end detached), second is connected to my Mac. When I've detached the first cable completely, the red led ("Host") switched on (which means that the card is not recognized correctly). Tried to re-plug the card and restart the computer - it all stays the same. What had I done wrong please?

Tried to reinstall the driver - all helpless. The red led is still on. And here I've noticed another interesting thing: I still hear the occasional hiss and when it sounds - some of the green leds above the 1-4 channels are shining (with different degrees of brightness each, just for the fractions of a second). What could it be? Internal electromagnetic distortion? And how could I reinstall the driver properly (IF it would be helpful at all)? Thanks a million!

7 (edited by Timur Born 2012-11-06 22:11:58)

Does your FF400 work properly in standalone? Are you using the 2-prong or 3-prong power-plug of the Macbook? Does running the Macbook on batteries (everything disconnected from both the Macbook and Fireface) make any difference?

@Timur: could you please re-read the thread - it looks like I have even bigger probs now sad

Another update meanwhile: when I plug it in - sometimes the device is recognised but not for a long time. What is happening here?

The TB to FW cable does not deliver enough bus power. Use an external power supply for the FF 400.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I am using an external power (verified). Now the story goes like this: when I plug the card in, it is recognized for about 3-5 minutes and after the red led simply goes on. What is happening? The card worked for me for about 6-8 years (hard to remember).

Is the external power supply just verified, or checked and validated? You might need to use a different one to make sure it is not dying away slowly.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

That's why I asked if it works properly in standalone mode at all, aka no computer connected, just going in and out of the FF400 in standalone (see manual)? While this cannot rule out power-supply problems if it works, it can pretty much rule out computer/cable problems if does not work in standalone.

14 (edited by breakphreak 2012-11-07 23:57:19)

It looks like there are hisses in the standalone mode (and the green LEDs are partying sometimes AND the card is not recognised by my new mbp) hence, I'll bring it to a service point, will update from there.