1 (edited by JimmyHoffa 2011-05-31 15:44:55)

Topic: New icons for the Windows driver

Howdie,

I bought a Fireface 400 and I'm waiting for it to arrive. I downloaded its drivers for Win7 (v3.034) and I would like to tell you that I'm very disappointed by the looks of the icons (Fireface settings, Firefacemix and TotalMixFX). smile I mean, they look so old, so '90sh. I'm not that picky (well, I guess I am tongue) but when you have that GUI of Win 7, the Aero theme, all the bling-bling and then you see these icons in the systray... sorry for the expression: but they look like sh**. I've heard that your drivers are rock-solid, that's one of the important factors that made me decide to buy the FF400, but the looks is also important, it shows that you are progressing and that you are anchored in the present times. You must be very busy working on solving the software bugs, constantly improving the drivers, but I think that the aesthetic part is also important, namely the icons used.
I hope you are taking into consideration my suggestion and design new icons, I don't think the cost will be too high. smile

Best of luck.

2 (edited by julien breval 2011-05-31 17:00:46)

Re: New icons for the Windows driver

Hello,

I personally hide the system tray in Windows 7 but... isn't it possible for you to replace the original icons by custom icons? Browse for icons on Google, or make the image yourself using your favourite drawing software smile


Best,
-j

Re: New icons for the Windows driver

it shows that you are progressing and that you are anchored in the present times. You must be very busy working on solving the software bugs, constantly improving the drivers, but I think that the aesthetic part is also important, namely the icons used.

[ ] I want the best audio interface.
[ ] I want the best drivers.
[ ] I want the best bling-bling aero icons for Win 7.

Pick two.

best regards
Knut

Re: New icons for the Windows driver

The FF400 is '90sh itself, so the icons fit. If you want modern look and tech then go buy an USB based RME interface, those come with new icons. tongue

Re: New icons for the Windows driver

Admin Knut wrote:

[ ] I want the best audio interface.
[ ] I want the best drivers.
[ ] I want the best bling-bling aero icons for Win 7.

Pick two.

Hi Knut,

Well, FF400 is my first product from RME and hopefully not the last. The first two options should come as a "bundle", who wants the best drivers without the best audio interface and viceversa? tongue
It was just a suggestion, I'm not here to criticise. Sure, I can change the icons myself, but you should know that even small details count, details which can strenghten the perception that you bought a (or almost) perfect product which can keep up with the times. That's all.

Timur wrote:

The FF400 is '90sh itself, so the icons fit. If you want modern look and tech then go buy an USB based RME interface, those come with new icons. tongue

Hi Timur,

I thought that the FF400 is being produced since around 2006. smile Anyhow, if an USB based interface comes with new icons, why not use them for the FF400 also?

Best of luck.

Re: New icons for the Windows driver

I heard there were people who cared about this sort of thing, but I've never met one before!  :-)

Re: New icons for the Windows driver

Laurence Payne wrote:

I heard there were people who cared about this sort of thing, but I've never met one before!  :-)

Nice to meet you too. big_smile

Re: New icons for the Windows driver

Someone has made some nice new icons for MAC OSX:
Icons for MacOSX

...but you're looking for Windows ones...

9 (edited by JimmyHoffa 2011-06-01 10:23:34)

Re: New icons for the Windows driver

Leo - Fireface 400 wrote:

Someone has made some nice new icons for MAC OSX:
Icons for MacOSX

...but you're looking for Windows ones...

Thank you Leo. Those icons look great. smile It seems that I'm not the only one who thinks that the standard ones are ugly. tongue
All I have to do is convert them to .ico so that I can use them in Windows.

Re: New icons for the Windows driver

Sorry for double posting, but I found another thread regarding the same icons issue. smile

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=41173

They look very good. Maybe the guys at RME should really consider this and provide them as default icons, it will be a benefit (even if it's a small one) for all the RME users.

Best of luck.

11 (edited by TheNoize 2012-07-01 18:53:49)

Re: New icons for the Windows driver

Here's my version of RME icons - I guess I wanted something cooler in my dock, to remind me of my new RME gear hehe (sorry RME designer! Nothing personal)...

Let me know if you're interested. Based on feedback, I can make downloads for mac/windows available.
I probably should post something in my empty deviant art account anyway smile

http://www.brunoserge.com/RME/Icons.jpg
http://www.brunoserge.com/RME/NewIcons.png

12 (edited by QuBe 2012-07-02 12:38:15)

Re: New icons for the Windows driver

Admin Knut wrote:

it shows that you are progressing and that you are anchored in the present times. You must be very busy working on solving the software bugs, constantly improving the drivers, but I think that the aesthetic part is also important, namely the icons used.

[ ] I want the best audio interface.
[ ] I want the best drivers.
[ ] I want the best bling-bling aero icons for Win 7.

Pick two.

best regards
Knut

.
In the professional world, application icons are not a limited choice options. Companies spend fortunes to develop graphics that best represent their brand and assist in it's identification/use of it's product, particularly at the primary interaction level of a computer interface.

To think that these issues are irrelevant for RME, consider the amount of resources that went into developing the packaging and presentation for devices like the Babyface: it even includes high chrome finished solid fobs on the carrying case zippers with etched RME logos. The carrying case itself is padded with "memory foam" instead of regular foam padding, and it has "Babyface Made By RME" screened in white on the outside. Even the strap loops are chromed cast one piece items, instead of simply welded or crimped rings.
This is an obsessive level of attention to detail.

To expect the same of the product's software is completely understandable and reasonable.

And to those who counter with arguments that we should be making music instead of concerned with such issues, it's likely they are ones who's lives would benefit from greater attention to detail...like the facts that no one makes music 16 hrs a day, every day, and this is not a world where one size fits all.

I agree with the original poster's responses to the icons...
So much so that I hack the totalmixfx.exe to replace the icon with one I can readily identify.

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11941

Re: New icons for the Windows driver

To think that these issues are irrelevant for RME, consider the amount of resources that went into developing the packaging and presentation for devices like the Babyface: it even includes high chrome finished solid fobs on the carrying case zippers with etched RME logos. The carrying case itself is padded with "memory foam" instead of regular foam padding, and it has "Babyface Made By RME" screened in white on the outside. Even the strap loops are chromed cast one piece items, instead of simply welded or crimped rings. This is an obsessive level of attention to detail.

I'am glad you like my design. But obsessive is the wrong word, maniac is better.

To expect the same of the product's software is completely understandable and reasonable.

Sure. I agree fitting icons would be nice, but everytime I've started an icon design in the last years - something more important showed up (like the Babyface). Btw. I hate it to create an icon. The problem is not the design - the problem are the limitations of the icon format and the small sizes, like 16x16. User created icons are available - see above - so I see not a big problem here.

So much so that I hack the totalmixfx.exe to replace the icon with one I can readily identify.

Good job!

best regards
Knut

Re: New icons for the Windows driver

Admin Knut wrote:

I'am glad you like my design. But obsessive is the wrong word, maniac is better.

Are you serious? You did the case for the Babyface?
Well, it certainly impressed me. I wasn't even expecting a carrying case, let alone a deluxe one. :-D

But, since I don't go mobile with the Babyface, the case has been in the box for since I got it. A tragic waste, I always thought.
Then, I recently discovered a use for it:
It's the perfect case for my Galaxy Tab....I mean, it's like it was made for it.
Perfect size, padding protection, and also internal pockets for my wall and car chargers and camera/USB kit.
It couldn't be better. (and it saved me a whack of cash too) :-)


So much so that I hack the totalmixfx.exe to replace the icon with one I can readily identify.

Good job!

Thanks.
Yeah, for some reason, I just couldn't get my mind to associate the brown one to TotalMix.
It had to go...
:-)

Re: New icons for the Windows driver

Admin Knut wrote:

it shows that you are progressing and that you are anchored in the present times. You must be very busy working on solving the software bugs, constantly improving the drivers, but I think that the aesthetic part is also important, namely the icons used.

[ ] I want the best audio interface.
[ ] I want the best drivers.
[ ] I want the best bling-bling aero icons for Win 7.

Pick two.

best regards
Knut

Why only two? Are you telling us that RME is the type of company that can only fulfill 2 out of 3 product management needs?
Are you driver developer and designer? That just means RME should hire another designer, dedicated to brand identity, or at least acknowledge some user-made icons and include them in a next release, crediting the user.

Re: New icons for the Windows driver

TheNoize wrote:

Why only two? Are you telling us that RME is the type of company that can only fulfill 2 out of 3 product management needs?
Are you driver developer and designer? That just means RME should hire another designer, dedicated to brand identity, or at least acknowledge some user-made icons and include them in a next release, crediting the user.

RME is a German company and we all know that Germans are very stubborn! smile I really don't understand why the hell they don't want to use your icons!?!? FOR FREE! They just have to credit your work! That's all. Unbelievable. I wonder what their Marketing department thinks about this? Along with their products, their brand image should also evolve!

Now, with every new driver release, I have to tweak the icons...

The Noize, I would loooove to use your icons! I'm using Windows and I need them in different sizes: 16x16, 32x32, etc. Do you want to share your icons with us? smile Many thanks.

17 (edited by TheNoize 2012-07-02 19:35:44)

Re: New icons for the Windows driver

JimmyHoffa wrote:

RME is a German company and we all know that Germans are very stubborn! smile I really don't understand why the hell they don't want to use your icons!?!? FOR FREE! They just have to credit your work! That's all. Unbelievable. I wonder what their Marketing department thinks about this? Along with their products, their brand image should also evolve!

Considering their product/packaging designer is also driver developer AND forum administrator, it's not hard to imagine that maybe marketing (if the department exists) was never allowed to see any of these icons tongue

But you're right, the attitude seems stubborn. And that's normal. Most companies are stubborn about improving their design, especially if they see themselves as successful in an industry like pro audio. They find insulting to suggest that their design isn't the best, even though a lot of times they put 0 effort in user experience. Also, they would feel like they owe something to the designer, and they rarely think design is worthy of good payment (even if it's the single most important brand development they could use to improve visibility and profitability).

JimmyHoffa wrote:

The Noize, I would loooove to use your icons! I'm using Windows and I need them in different sizes: 16x16, 32x32, etc. Do you want to share your icons with us? smile Many thanks.

I'd love to make them available! Thanks for the feedback. I'll post something about it soon smile
Cheers

Re: New icons for the Windows driver

QuBe wrote:

In the professional world, application icons are not a limited choice options. Companies spend fortunes to develop graphics that best represent their brand and assist in it's identification/use of it's product, particularly at the primary interaction level of a computer interface.

To think that these issues are irrelevant for RME, consider the amount of resources that went into developing the packaging and presentation for devices like the Babyface: it even includes high chrome finished solid fobs on the carrying case zippers with etched RME logos. The carrying case itself is padded with "memory foam" instead of regular foam padding, and it has "Babyface Made By RME" screened in white on the outside. Even the strap loops are chromed cast one piece items, instead of simply welded or crimped rings.
This is an obsessive level of attention to detail.

To expect the same of the product's software is completely understandable and reasonable.

And to those who counter with arguments that we should be making music instead of concerned with such issues, it's likely they are ones who's lives would benefit from greater attention to detail...like the facts that no one makes music 16 hrs a day, every day, and this is not a world where one size fits all.

I agree with the original poster's responses to the icons...
So much so that I hack the totalmixfx.exe to replace the icon with one I can readily identify.

One of the most important qualities that a man can have is the ability to back up its opinion with valid, rational arguments! Hats off to you, sir!

TheNoize wrote:

Considering their product/packaging designer is also driver developer AND forum administrator, it's not hard to imagine that maybe marketing (if the department exists) was never allowed to see any of these icons tongue

But you're right, the attitude seems stubborn. And that's normal. Most companies are stubborn about improving their design, especially if they see themselves as successful in an industry like pro audio. They find insulting to suggest that their design isn't the best, even though a lot of times they put 0 effort in user experience. Also, they would feel like they owe something to the designer, and they rarely think design is worthy of good payment (even if it's the single most important brand development they could use to improve visibility and profitability).

Perfectly said! I echo entirely with your opinion. I know that the vast majority of users don't give a damn about the icons, but RME's effort to fine polish their software would be so small that it's hard to understand why they refuse to do it.

TheNoize wrote:

I'd love to make them available! Thanks for the feedback. I'll post something about it soon smile
Cheers

Great!!!! Thank you!

PS: I just took a look on your website and I must say: Very nice work! Very clean! I like it.

19 (edited by TheNoize 2012-07-09 21:51:05)

Re: New icons for the Windows driver

JimmyHoffa wrote:

Perfectly said! I echo entirely with your opinion. I know that the vast majority of users don't give a damn about the icons, but RME's effort to fine polish their software would be so small that it's hard to understand why they refuse to do it.

Great!!!! Thank you!

PS: I just took a look on your website and I must say: Very nice work! Very clean! I like it.

Thank you for your great comments, I appreciate!

Here's the zip file with both formats: http://brunoserge.deviantart.com/#/d564cf3

Enjoy

Re: New icons for the Windows driver

JimmyHoffa wrote:

One of the most important qualities that a man can have is the ability to back up its opinion with valid, rational arguments! Hats off to you, sir!

Thanks.
I'm one of those people blessed/cursed with sensitivity to such details.
(A little disagreeable 16x16 image on my desktop can be as irritating as trying to sleep with a mosquito loose in the tent.) :-mad:

But, I can see how such things would almost not make it on a company's radar, given the absolutely massive task of producing high quality hardware and software for a global market...and managing such a company. With all that is required to accomplish that, the minutiae of dock and system tray icons can take on an air of certain absurdity.

But then, that's why God created wretched graphic artists (like me) to delegate the task to... :-D

21 (edited by fl 2012-07-03 17:26:07)

Re: New icons for the Windows driver

In addition to the icons themselves, it might be nice to include some brief instructions how to install them on both the Mac OS and Windows platforms.

Frank Lockwood
https://LockwoodARS.com
Fireface 800, Firmware 2.77
Drivers: Win10, 3.125; Mac, 3.36

Re: New icons for the Windows driver

fl wrote:

In addition to the icons themselves, it might be nice to include some brief instructions how to install them on both the Mac OS and Windows platforms.

Instructions added to zip file:

Windows:

Either create a shortcut and change the icon to the shortcut, or use a program capable of resource editing, like IconPackager, or MicroAngelo.
I tried to use IcoFX but it only supports 32 bit exes.

Mac:

- Open PNG image in Preview
- Press Cmd + A to select all, and Cmd + C to copy
- Right click on the app > Get Info...
- Click on the lock (bottom right) and enter your admin password.
- Change permissions of "everyone" to "read & write"
- Click on the app icon (top left) and press Cmd + V (paste)
- Change back the permissions of "everyone" to "read only" and close the lock

23

Re: New icons for the Windows driver

TheNoize wrote:

Instructions added to zip file

Excellent. Thanks very much.

Frank Lockwood
https://LockwoodARS.com
Fireface 800, Firmware 2.77
Drivers: Win10, 3.125; Mac, 3.36

24 (edited by TheNoize 2012-11-08 02:52:34)

Re: New icons for the Windows driver

Original direct link changed to DeviantArt page:

http://brunoserge.deviantart.com/#/d5bi9f1

Edit: Fixed link

Re: New icons for the Windows driver

Can this cause any problems when you update the drivers from an RME package? I imagine the icons will just get overwritten, right?

PC1 = HDSPe PCIe: DF-ADI-8 DS / HDSPe PCIe: MF2
MBP = HDSPe Expresscard: MF1

Re: New icons for the Windows driver

undertone wrote:

Can this cause any problems when you update the drivers from an RME package? I imagine the icons will just get overwritten, right?

Yes. Pretty much.

Unless RME contacts me about including the icons in a next release - Which I don't see happening, even though I wouldn't ask much (probably a UCX upgrade so I can have the firewire option big_smile) tongue

27

Re: New icons for the Windows driver

I changed the icons using "Resource hacker"

A: I made a copy of the original driver-folder
B: Used Reshacker´s "Replace resource" to change icons in the Firefacemix & Fireface-exe´s one @ a time.
C: Uninstalled the FF400 & removed it´s drivers from the system32-folder
D: Reinstalled using the edited driverfile
E: Restart = done

Thanks to TheNoize for supplying the icons cool