Topic: Hooking up UCX and Red3 Comp.+TotalMix adjustments

Hi,
I'm quite new to hardware staff. Here is what I would like to achieve:
Sound is to go from Cubase 5 -> UCX -> RED 3 -> back to UCX -> Cubase 5. I want to be able to record sound with TapeIt in Cubase.

1) I assume I have to use balanced cables only (L/R IN, L/R OUT = 4 in total) as there are no inserts, right ???
2) Can you point out step by step how to route (find) correct channels in TotalMix and Cubase to get compressed sound by Red3 (as a bus comp.) back to Cubase. I would like to record it within Cubase (with TapeIt app.) Does Cubase depend on TotalMix (channels matching etc.) ?
3) Mic recording (Rode NT 1-A). I connected mic using XLR into Mic/Line 1 and then what? It is not working (I can't hear it). Again, I suppose some adjustments are essential in TotalMix and maybe in Cubase too.

Note: At the moment I have UCX connected to my laptop via USB. Both Laptop's sounds and Cubase playback are working excellent. Software and firmware updated to the newest versions.

Can you help please ?

Aza

Re: Hooking up UCX and Red3 Comp.+TotalMix adjustments

Hi Aza,
Do you mean the Focusrite Red 3 compressor?
If so then read the section in the Cubase manual for VST Connections and External Effects.
The only thing you should need to adjust or use in the RME Total Mix FX is the Mic Inputs channels gain setting.
Information on this is in the UCX manual.

I'm not sure what the use for this Tapeit plugin is. Seems pointless inside of a multitrack recording program like Cubase.

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig | ADK Pro Audio
www.adkproaudio.com
https://www.facebook.com/adkmg

Yes, RED 3 Compressor.

TapeIt is really pointless in Cubase unless recording function is not working (neither Live Recording nor Audio Mixdown). There were serious problems with it in Cubase 5 so people were trying to find other solutions. This is Steinberg..... They fix one thing and spoil another.....

Maybe anyone has similar configuration like RME + Hardware compressor and can give me some quick solution, please. Understanding RME manual is not so easy to me so I am asking people who hopefully went through it.

Please?

Hi Aza,
There are a bunch of tutorials on how to do this on the the web. Everything you need to do is in Cubase NOT the RME Mixer.
How to use External Effects in Cubase

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig | ADK Pro Audio
www.adkproaudio.com
https://www.facebook.com/adkmg