Topic: Random MIDI garbage - Fireface 400 - Notebook PC - PCMCIA Firewire

Hello

I have a serious problem with MIDI setup using Fireface 400 on my notebook, but not on desktop. When I play my keyboard which is connected to MIDI input on FF (either 1 or 2 -the same), I get random garbled "note on" events (especially low notes) all of a sudden. The only way to reproduce this is keep playing until it shows up! No sure way to reproduce it. No connection to CPU usage, wireless activity or wireless enabled/disabled, audio priority (CUBASE option), direct music (emulated) or mme driver, cell phone in range, cable, DAW software (CUBASE & Sonar), active software, hardware connected etc.

I have no problem at all with audio input, by the way!!! Only MIDI input. I have made many tests to either eliminate the problem or be able to reproduce it but no assurance!

The only thing I have found is that when I use the same setup with a Desktop PC the problem is not there! Both the Desktop and Notebook have VIA chipset firewire controlers. Notebook's PCMCIA controler has VIA VT8375 as www.pcidatabase.com says after checking the vendor and device ID.

I would go and buy a Texas Instruments chipset controler, but:

1. Both the laptop and the desktop have VIA and it works for the desktop.
2. Audio transfer is perfect for the laptop, only MIDI has problems! (Isn't that really weird???)

Notebook: DELL Latitude C640 with PCMCIA (Cardbus) firewire controler from Sunix.
Fireface firmwares tested: 1.52 & 1.66
Driver version: 2.86

The test has been done in 2 ways:

1. Local Echo Off on the keyboard - FF MIDI Input from keyboard connected to FF MIDI Output to the keyboard through the DAW (software) using one MIDI Track.
2. MIDI Input from keybard controlling a VSTi

Both setups above produce a problem. Only in laptop.

Please, some suggestions!

Thank you very much!

PS. I have posted on RME Newsgroups too - I hope it is not too much!

-- Nikos

Re: Random MIDI garbage - Fireface 400 - Notebook PC - PCMCIA Firewire

On the desktop you have a different architecture for FW. And MIDI is transmitted outside of the audio stream, so such an error is possible (yet never heared of). As an TI 400 card is not expensive you should try this.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Could you please suggest one or two cardbus / pcmcia firewire adapters, as I cannot find anything mentioning a texas instruments chipset in specs.

Thank you!

-- Nikos

MC wrote:

On the desktop you have a different architecture for FW. And MIDI is transmitted outside of the audio stream, so such an error is possible (yet never heared of). As an TI 400 card is not expensive you should try this.

I've bought Firecard 400 from Unibrain. No luck! The same. Chipset: TI TSB43AB22A

Link: http://www.unibrain.com/Products/p1394/FireCard400.htm

I noticed that it is easier reproducable when pressing many keys at once but it's not always the case. Also it happens when just playing slowly one key by one.

Please, other suggestions!

-- Nikos

I've just tried with another notebook and I've faced the same problem, exactly.
The notebook is LG E500. I've tried with onboard firewire:

Vendor: 0x1217 (O2Micro Inc)
   Device: 0x00f7 - (1394 Open Host Controller Interface)

and with Firecard 400 from Unibrain -cardbus firewire interface- also (mentioned in the previous post), but no luck.

NOTICE: I've noticed that the Firewire controller on desktop has it's own IRQ, while on both notebooks it is shared across some devices (including the cardbus controller in the case of the cardbus firewire controller). I don't know if this is of importance, however I've tried to switch the IRQ, but Windows won't let me (options greyed out) -even if I switch the HAL to Standard PC through device manager and disable dynamic allocation of IRQs. Since we're talking about notebooks, there is no option to switch PCI slots, and in the case of my notebook there is no option in the BIOS where I can disable ACPI, or assign IRQs to some slots, or reserve any. Any ideas?

By the way my long live (~5years) perfect windows setup is collapsing within a few days, because of the modifications (ie. I don't know if there is a way to reinstall ACPI HAL). The LG E500 is a clean install thing, in case you've wondered.

I would appreciate some help from you, pros.

Is RME Fireface 400 MIDI partly unusable in notebooks?

Thanx.

-- Nikos

If you installed special drivers for the Unibrain card, uninstall them. The card should work properly with the regular PnP Windows driver.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

If you installed special drivers for the Unibrain card, uninstall them. The card should work properly with the regular PnP Windows driver.

No I haven't installed special drivers for the unibrain card. Actually I don't think there are an special drivers, anyway (at least there aren't any at http://www.unibrain.com ). Also, I've tried switching the driver windows automatically chose (Texas Instruments OHCI...) with Generic OHCI with no success in the case of MIDI trouble.

Thank you.

-- Nikos

When connected to the desktop do you use bus power? Try with wall-wart, maybe there lies the problem. And is that unit using the latest firmware (there was a MIDI fix two versions ago)?

No other reported such an error, so we can not rule out anything. Even the FF itself might be a bit out of spec, causing this only on a certain machine.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Nothing to do with power, I've tested it. I've even attached the device to another 12V DC adapter with no luck on my problem.

On desktop it works. On notebooks it doesn't. And we're talking about the latest firmware as mentioned in the first post (answering to your question).

Are you suggesting that I send the device back?

Please, notice that Presonus Firebox that I have tried with the same notebook worked just right. Only some problems with MIC Pre 2 (noise) and that's why I upgraded to RME.

I don't want, however, to spend money and more troubleshooting time in Firewire or USB MIDI-only interfaces, just in case you suggested anything like that.

I would also like your opinion about this (specific):

1) FF400 midi in 2 corrupted: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=735

and that (more general):

2) Dell XPS M1710 / Fireface 800 Problem: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=672

Do you think that the threads above relate to my problems? Actually thread #1 looks almost the same, differing only in that I have the same problem in both MIDI Inputs, while posters of that thread only have problems in MIDI Input #2. But they mention that they switched the interface with a new one and problems were gone!

Thank you and, please, forgive my aggresiveness, but it's been three months now that I'm spending my time troubleshooting various things, watching the market and spending money for a simple AUDIO/MIDI interface that will do the job right! Also, regarding the Fireface, thomann.de's 30 days money back guarantee is ending...

-- Nikos

In driver/firmware changes page ti says:

[q]Windows 2000/XP/Vista Driver:
Version 2.4.2.0 (FUT 245): ...When switching on the Fireface no MIDI notes are sent anymore (Settings).
[/q]

1. My Fireface with firmware 1.66 and drivers 2.86 does send a bunch of notes on MIDI out when I turn it on.
2. There is no option in Fireface Settings or Fireface Mixer / Options / Preferences to disable this (if that is what is implied inside the brackets).

Where do I go wrong? Why does it do that?

Please do not forget to read my previous post!

Thank you.

-- Nikos

OK latest findings:

The stage piano I've been using for the tests is sending MIDI clock and that has been congesting MIDI input.

I've made some tests using another keyboard, deactivating MIDI clock transmission, occupying both MIDI Inputs of FF400, playing with... sample rate (!) and here are the results:

When connected to a notebook (I have tested 3 PC notebooks already) -while audio input (many inputs simoultaneously with low buffers/latency) has no problem at all- massive (although normal for everyday application) MIDI data get congested (buffer fill?) and errors come up in the DAW:

90 00 3D    Note On          C-2 (do-2)  Velocity: 61  Channel 1
90 40 3E    Note On          E3 (mi3)    Velocity: 62  Channel 1
90 40 38    Note On          E3 (mi3)    Velocity: 56  Channel 1
90 00 3A    Note On          C-2 (do-2)  Velocity: 58  Channel 1
90 40 3D    Note On          E3 (mi3)    Velocity: 61  Channel 1
90 00 3E    Note On          C-2 (do-2)  Velocity: 62  Channel 1
90 00 3D    Note On          C-2 (do-2)  Velocity: 61  Channel 1
90 40 3E    Note On          E3 (mi3)    Velocity: 62  Channel 1
90 00 38    Note On          C-2 (do-2)  Velocity: 56  Channel 1
90 40 3A    Note On          E3 (mi3)    Velocity: 58  Channel 1
90 40 3D    Note On          E3 (mi3)    Velocity: 61  Channel 1
90 00 38    Note On          C-2 (do-2)  Velocity: 56  Channel 1
90 00 3E    Note On          C-2 (do-2)  Velocity: 62  Channel 1

There is a pattern in the errors above if you notice (value: 0x40 & 0x00 and velocity: ~< 0x40), BTW. Also, if the problem comes up and I continue to send MIDI data (play on the keyboard) without interruption, I continue to get these errors. I have to pause playing for a second or two, in order to be able to receive correct MIDI data again (having those Note On events sound until I do a MIDI reset in Cubase). This is telling me that a buffer fills up and, until it is free again, errors are transmitted.

What's more, playing with audio sampling rate (!) I've noticed that the higher the sampling rate is, the more infrequent the congestion is!!! What does audio sampling rate has to do with MIDI??? The result is the same whether I send the MIDI data back to my stage piano, or play a VSTi, or just record silently the damn stream!

So, in order to "safely" reproduce the problem I use 44.100, with MIDI In #1 connected to my stage piano (Yamaha P-140), with MIDI Clock transmission ON, Active sense transmission ON, tempo at 280bpm, and MIDI In #2 connected to my other keyboard (Yamaha PSR-37!) with Active sense transmsission ON. The first one or two chords I play on either keyboard trigger the error. Of course, I get the error even if I use 96.000 with only 1 keyboard connected with no MIDI Clock transmission but it is more infrequent (maybe after a while having used sustain and some chords), but the setup is practically useless to record or play anything.

I have to admit -repeating myself- that there are no such problems with the Desktop PC (VIA PCI firewire, own IRQ).

Please, add your comments!

Is there anything that is out of tune in FF400 (regarding buffers, maybe)?

In case it is not FF400's fault, is it possible that there be an option in the Settings dialog for MIDI decongestion (?), before final transmission to the PC in the price of a couple of milliseconds of MIDI latency?

I don't know how drivers are handled, but wouldn't it be right for such a product to have it's own MIDI drivers giving MME and DirectMusic Options? Would this solve anything?

I would like some answers on the previous posts, also, please!

PS. I remind you that I use Firecard 400, Cardbus Firewire adapter,  from Unibrain (TI TSB43AB22A, chipset), which brings exactly the same results with a SUNIX (VIA Chipset).

-- Nikos

It seems that you have a FW transmission problem on that computer, showing up as MIDI errors. I do not know why this happens, but it is an unknown phenomenom, means you are the only one experiencing it at this time. As the FF is working on a different computer it can't be defective. And MIDI data are already buffered in the hardware, the rest is Windows...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

13 (edited by ndiam 2008-03-24 08:53:34)

MC wrote:

It seems that you have a FW transmission problem on that computer, showing up as MIDI errors. I do not know why this happens, but it is an unknown phenomenom...

It is not one computer. It is 3 notebooks (+my brother's) including 4 firewire interfaces (2 on board and 2 PCMCIA) !!!

MC wrote:

... means you are the only one experiencing it at this time. As the FF is working on a different computer it can't be defective. And MIDI data are already buffered in the hardware, the rest is Windows...

Am I the only one, really? ( http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=735 ) Those guys expirience similar problems. On one computer it worked, on another it didn't. They tried your bugfixes, and for some it worked, for others it didn't. They exchanged the FF400 for a new one and problems went away.

Come on you guys! I have spent more hours troubleshooting the machine than you have answering the whole forum! You can do better than that I suppose. Here are so many data posted. And you skip 90% of my questions, also!!!

-- Nikos

I missed that you have the error on multiple machines, sorry. You still have the option to try a new unit. Contact your dealer or local distributor.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

And here is another feedback from the developers (which are in easter holiday as well). Please try with limited bandwidth, like Analog+Spdif. Would be interesting to know if this removes the issue.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

And here is another feedback from the developers (which are in easter holiday as well). Please try with limited bandwidth, like Analog+Spdif. Would be interesting to know if this removes the issue.

No, it will not fix anything.

Thanx.

-- Nikos

Yes... I have the same problem, but just on midi-in 2. About one year ago I spent many days trying to troubleshoot the bug but no way. I tried different keyboards (Roalnd Yamaha Korg Novation) and different computers (two laptop PCs and a MacBook Pro). I used Midi-ox to understand something more about the MIDI signal path and I sent the data to my dealer, with my FF400. They couldn't fix it and they said I was the only one having this problem... so the solution for me was (and is) NOT USING MIDI-IN 2. But now there are other people experiencing the same issue. Let me know if you could solve the problem Ndiam...

18 (edited by ndiam 2008-03-31 15:01:55)

I haven't found a solution. I've even tested another FF400 and the same problem exists!

[large]RME Fireface 400 is not for MS Windows notebook PC use.[/large] It causes trouble!

Please, have a look in this thread and report if it has anything to do with your case:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=735

-- Nikos

I would like to bring this case to light, again, in case someone is interested. (?!)

Thank you.

-- Nikos

Hey, I've been having a problem that I think might be similar to this.

Fireface 400, I5-750, Yamaha S90ES is my controller.  The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P.

I have my S90ES midi out connected to the fireface's midi 1 in.  I use Cubase 5 with Synthogy Ivory to play something nice and calm like erik Satie's Gymnopedies -- so not much in the way of quantity of notes..  I'll be playing along this lullaby to my lovely girl when out of nowhere BAM, the E just above middle C at full volume.  So she thinks I'm being mean or something and goes to bed without me.  BTW this only happens when I use the sustain pedal.  It is happening after say a minute or so of playing.  The volume of the intruding note is not always full volume, sometimes it is quiet, but as far as I have witnessed, it is either very loud or somewhat quiet, and always the E above mid C (E4?).

I tested with midi in 2, and it happens there too.   I don't know how to go about troubleshooting this, or if it is the S90ES acting up or the Fireface.  Please help!  My unit is a couple of years old, but it has done this since I got it.  I haven't really started playing with music until recently, and it's getting to be annoying.

I'll connect up my nord electro 3 and see if it happens with it as well.

hey Nikos, you never mentioned what midi keyboard you are using....

klawrence wrote:

I'll be playing along this lullaby to my lovely girl when out of nowhere BAM, the E just above middle C at full volume.  So she thinks I'm being mean or something and goes to bed without me.

man to your girl you should be acoustic. don't mess love with the machines! :-)

-- Nikos

klawrence wrote:

hey Nikos, you never mentioned what midi keyboard you are using....

yamaha psr-37 old stuff
yamaha p-140 stage piano

the keyboards are no prob.
only factor, the sustain pedal, which throws many fast signals and with clock online and keys pressed / released it congests more. but it's not a reasonable solution to turn off clock, or stop using the sustain pedal. the congestion is going to happen anyway.

-- Nikos

You will have to try different MIDI cables first, then a different FF 400. We have no known issues in MIDI with the current firmware, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi!Same problem here!Yamaha p70 in FF 400 midi in 1 playing Galaxy Pianos II from Kontakt 4.FF 400 midi out 2 to Kurzweil K2000's midi in.I think it's a midi buffer problem.When I stop the drum track to K2000 and playing "less" piano notes everything is fine.Same set up but with ESI Quatafire 610 instead FF 400 works briliant though it doesn't sound so good like with FF400.

Hi!Any solution for the problem?

Still nothing???:(

Back again and still nothing???Hellllooooou...is anybody there????

same  problem but not with RME.
I did find the cause:  active sense data send by my old yamaha P140, which I can't turn off, and i makes my protools go crazy, and no way to filter it in protools. Or does anyone know how to do this ? (Somebody managed on a yamaha kx 88 but no luck yet for p 140

midimonitor  is a small utility program that monitors the midi setup.  I have an MPK controller working fine, an M-audio key 88 working fine, and an M audio 4x4 going crazy getting midi from my yamaha pt 140,  sending real time system information like midi clock and especially active sense data....

The only solution i found is to set my Yamaha P70 in dual mode.Then everything is ok,though I cant explain why it is working.When I try with Yamaha P300 this does not help.I know some guy with MOTU mkll.He has the same problem.Maybe there is something in Windows.Hope this info helps!