Topic: Thunderbolt options

I own both the PCIe and Express cards for my MF I and RPM.

Costs notwithstanding, when I migrate to a Thunderbolt based system, is there any benefit to, say for example, using the Sonnet Express adapter over the PCIe host chassis to connect to a Thunderbolt host?

There's a portability issue and it would probably be easier to firmly attach the RME Express card into the Sonnet adapter, which is a step up from treating the express card inserted into a MacBookPro like the delicate flower that it is.

For a more permanent installation, having the PCIe card in a chassis (or whatever you call those things) that can be included or not in the Thunderbolt chain makes it almost as flexible as the express card ( you can bring it or not, move it to another unit without opening a case etc)

So, technically, is there any speed or other issue that favours one or the other?

thanks

SlickSlack
Toronto

Re: Thunderbolt options

Hi,

Thunderbolt does not provide any benefit over PCIe, and the RME card will work exactly the same as when installed in a PCIe slot. The Sonnet PCIe chassis and ExpressCard adapter work very well.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks Jeff.
So the only difference between running a Multiface or RPM connected via the HDSPe Express card into the Sonnet ExpressCard adapter and running it into a HDSPe PCI card into a PCIe card chassis is cost and size/portability?
In both situations, the Multiface will need it's own AC power, correct?

Yes. The HDSPe (desktop) card should power the Multiface as the chassis connects to mains power. The ExpressCard would still require the power pack.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.