1 (edited by bakedogg 2012-11-12 16:49:57)

Topic: Fireface UC earth buzz when touching metal parts

Hi,
I'm getting a buzz whenever I touch the mic cable release buttons on the front panel mic inputs. This occurs both in stand-alone mode and when plugged into a laptop. This occurs even when I don't have a mic cable plugged in, and in stand-alone mode. To eliminate possible causes I've been troubleshooting through headphones (monitors are out of the equation). When a mic cable is plugged in the problem also presents itself when any metal part of the connector is touched. The real issue is that When a DI is plugged into the cable the problem occurs when the chassis of the DI is touched (even with my J-DI). It actually caused my LA Audio DI to go microphonic. When a guitar is plugged in the issue occurs when the strings are touched. Trying to record an acoustic through anything but a microphone is useless due to the buzzing. This problem also presents itself when going direct into the instrument input (input 3).
I've swapped out power supplies and experimented at different locations with the same problems. The problem seems to be isolated to each individual mic input - if I have input 1 turned up and input 2 muted, the buzzing only occurs when I touch the release button of input 1, not when I touch the button of input 2.
Any ideas?

Cheers,
Al.