Topic: Sync Question - Fireface UFX

Let me first apologize if the answer to my question is in the forum somewhere.  I searched, but couldn't find it.

I'm trying to use a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 for additional inputs into my UFX.  Everything's hooked up and I can pass digital audio from the Saffire to the UFX via ADAT or SPDIF (ADAT 2) with no issues.  My question is relative to how the UFX "sees" the sample rates.  When I use sample rates above 48k, there seems to be a discrepancy in the ADAT sample rate reported in the UFX "Settings" dialog box (SPDIF/AES reports correctly).  Using a sample rate of 88.2k for example, I get the following:

1.  Saffire shows lock at 88.2k
2.  UFX "Settings" dialog box shows sample rate of 88.2k, but ADAT lock at 44.1k
3.  DigiCheck will show an 88.2k sample rate on the incoming ADAT channel(s)

With everything set to 96k, the ADAT shows lock at 48k.  At 176.4k, ADAT shows 44.1.  At 192k, ADAT shows 48k.  In each instance, the Saffire reflects the correct sample rate, as does Digicheck.  It's only the ADAT lock in the Settings dialog box that shows differently. 

The above results are consistent regardless of what I clock to.  I typically use Word with the UFX as the master, but I've also tried Word with the Saffire as the master, and ADAT clock.  SPDIF always shows the correct sample rate regardless of what I clock to. 

My initial thought, since the ADAT sample rate shown in the Settings dialog box is always a divided multiple of the higher sample rate, is that everything is clocking properly....The UFX is just "seeing" the sample rate over multiple channels.  For instance, at 88.2k, the UFX is seeing a 44.1k rate on two ADAT channels, for a total rate of 88.2k.  The only thing that makes me question that theory, is that if I simultaneously run the same channel of audio from the Saffire to the UFX via both an ADAT and SPDIF channel, and then flip the phase on one channel, I get:

1.  Set at 44.1k, dead silence
2.  Set at 88.2 or higher rate, significant volume decrease (probably 80% or more), but not silence...Again, in this scenario, everything shows the 88.2k sample rate (UFX sample rate, AES/SPDIF in UFX Settings dialogue box, Saffire) except for the ADAT in the Settings dialogue box.

Am I nuts????

Thanks!

Gary

Re: Sync Question - Fireface UFX

One additional test I just tried after posting this...

With everything set at 88.2k, if I run a stereo source out of the Saffire via ADAT into a TC Finalizer 96k, then out of the Finalizer via SPDIF into the UFX (ADAT 2), DigiCheck shows a sample rate of 88.2k on the incoming AES channels, but the AES lock in the Settings dialog box shows 44.1k.

Re: Sync Question - Fireface UFX

Thoughts anyone?