1 (edited by zigor 2012-11-14 11:32:32)

Topic: USB 3.0 compatibility?

Is or will the UFX be USB 3.0 compatible, since we see now more and more laptops dropping the USB 2.0 and offer only USB3.0 ?

Or should I rather write : will the USB3.0 eventually become fully USB.2.0 retrofittable, so we can connect our devices with a proper cable?

Re: USB 3.0 compatibility?

Hello,

the UFX can be connected to USB 3, although this will not make the device work any "faster".

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks Daniel,

That's good news : I may now go shopping for a new laptop without bothering for this issue!:-D

Just one more question regarding the speed of transmission: the official spec says 480mb /s, or 60Mo/sec

Say a VIP of 12 channels in 24bits/44.1  would give a data flow of 44.1 x 24 x 12 = 127Mb/s or 16Mo/sec

No problem here, but what if I switch to 24/88? That would bring it to 32Mo/s and some give a speed limit of 28Mo/s for writing. Or did I miss anything?

This 28Mo/s writing speed comes from the Thunderbold webpage here http://www.apple.com/fr/thunderbolt/

Could we have your views on the subject, please?

Thanks

Mo = megaoctets - is that a french invention? fryingpan

28 Mbyte writing speed is the typical max value when using USB. The point that you missed is that in 96 kHz operation the UFX has only 22 channels. And that you misread your calculators output. 1.6 Mbyte (or Mo if you like), not 16. At 96 kHz and 22 channels you will have 6.3 Mbyte per second.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Mo = megaoctets - is that a french invention? fryingpan.

Yes, to avoid using english terms. They also say ordinateur for computer....

Sorry for not spotting the miscalculation.... rant

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Silly me DeadHorse !  You are dead right. As a french speaking person, I prefer to use the Mo (megaoctet) to avoid the confusion between megabyte and megabit.
But that does not justify the comma mistake, a really silly one..!

Thanks for spotting it and also confirm there is definitely no transmission problems with the usb2.0 even for very large files.

And yes...I'll put a fresh battery in my calculator!rotfl