1 (edited by rubensamama 2012-06-02 00:23:42)

Topic: clicks and pops, on recording. Please someone respond!

Hi,

I just bought a Fireface UC and I've been having a lot of trouble getting it to work properly.
It works fine for a few minutes but pretty soon my computer starts to heat up, fan going mad and I saw that the Kernel_Task is going through the roof! Cubase starts to sputter and I can't work anymore.

I have a year old Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7 with 8gig RAM, OS 10.6.8 and never had any issues when using my Mbox.

I updated all the Drivers and Firmware so that shouldn't be the problem. I just went to Tekserve here in New York and they checked my computer and it's fine.

Can anyone help me with this? 

Thanks!

Ruben

Re: clicks and pops, on recording. Please someone respond!

I've been having a ton of problems getting my Fireface UC to work. I have never had any issues with any device and this is just the most frustrating thing.

I bought it brand new a few weeks ago and after battling kernel spikes through the roof I'm now dealing with pops and clicks on the recording.
I hear, while recording, the audio stall and sputter a bit and that results in pops/clicks on the recorded track.

I have 3 other interfaces that work well (with lesser recording quality otherwise I wouldn't have changed to RME) and tons of work ahead while I'm constantly re-recording a faulted track or just switching back to my old interface which I obviously don't want anymore...

I run a MacBookPro

Freshly installed
OSX 10.6.8   (64bit kernel)
2.66 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Cubase 6.5
Already checked USB cable and Port.
Asio is moving a lot but not spiking to crazy levels. I Have the buffer size on the full 1024 and still no luck.

Can someone please respond, I've been searching the forums but haven't been able to find anything.

thanks!

Ruben

Hi Wretch,

thanks for the reply, I don't think this function exists for the Mac version of Cubase. But if it solved you problem, I hope there is an equivalent!

You didn't mention your installed driver and firmware version. Up to date?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

all the latest.

Ruben, how do you assess the performance? Can you offer some simple project file to test this here?

Hi Timur,

I would start a new project, work for about 15 min, computer starts to fan hard, I continue, suddenly the ASIO bar from the performance monitor in Cubase starts to move back and forth and every spike gives a glitch. Even-though I thought I had fixed the kernel problem, I checked the Activity Monitor while this was happening and kernel was up 214%. Now if I do the same thing with my Mbox, I'm having no problems what so-ever.

I made a little screen-video of it, I don't know if I can upload that.

Thanks for helping!

ruben

This post from user wretch had been deleted by accident.

hi,I'm interested in this question.I had the same problem and found that if I changed the ASIO driver setting in the DAW devic manager to Asio full duplex X the files played smoothly.
I use a BABYFACE with nuendo4.Try this,it is an easy adjustment or someone might have a more technical suggestion.GOODLUCK

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Does it happen when you are only using Nuendo/Cubase internal effects? Is there a way to reproduce your issues in a step-by-step manner?

ok, so I got my HD replaced, had some issues, seems like it's running more smoothly now.
Now I have another problem.. sorry...
Why is it that without the RME I can raise the Buffer to 2048 and work on a heavy project without too much trouble and with the RME I can only get 1024 which makes it impossible for me to mix.
Also, is there a way on Totalmix to make it not go back to the opening state (zero) as soon as you change buffer size? I almost lost an ear because I changed the buffer size while wearing headphones while doing voiceover, mic started to feed in my ear... ouch...

thanks,

ruben

TM usually does not change its state. Can you please explain in detail what is happening.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Let's say I work on "x" buffer size, this is becomes too low at a certain point for me to work with so I switch it to "y". as soon as I do that Totalmix goes to it's opening state.

and how about the buffer size only going to 1024?
Also, I'm still having issues with my computer heating up when using the RME, I just did a session, 0 plugins 8 stereo tracks buffer size 1024 and it started to steam within 15 min. I unplug the RME close Totalmix and the system cools down quick, while I'm still running the project on Cubase, so the computer is fine. Again, I don't have this problem with any other interface I've had.

Ruben

Your explanation mirrors what you wrote before.

> Totalmix goes to it's opening state

I have no clue what that means.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

It goes to all faders on "0" on the main out, as in if I had the level on -6 it'll be back on 0

and how about the other questions,

thanks!

Please tell us the exact version numbers of driver, TotalMix FX and firmware of the UC.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Driver: v1.72
Firmware: v115
Totalmix (no FX) 0.972

> It goes to all faders on "0" on the main out, as in if I had the level on -6 it'll be back on 0

Does that mean only the main fader moves to 0, or all faders in the third row?

Can you please try TotalMix 0.983rc2 from this thread? Thanks.

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=14665

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

It does the same thing.
all the faders in the 3rd row go back to 0

Cubase has a setting to prevent changing the output volume:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3067

Post 11.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

very cool, will try that later, Thanks!
How about the other questions, are those also cubase related?

I'm still completely unable to use this device, I'm having Kernel trouble again, only when using the RME Fireface. Now, I've uploaded a youtube video where you can see what happens, I would work for about half an hour and suddenly the sound start to sputter pop and crackle and I can't record anymore, as you can see in the video, Kernel is up pretty high, Asio is moving about too much as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5O1JGZlzQo

I opened Chrome after having problems, so it's not Chrome.

Can you also please respond to my other questions?

thank you.

ruben

Official Support only reacts on the easy questions.
Fireface UC is unusable, still having massive issues with it.
My computer has brand new HD, clean OSX install, 8 gig of Ram, Latest drivers etc. it's fine, also works with other interfaces, but with Fireface Kernel goes nuts Asio goes nuts.

the facts:

MacbookPro 2.66 GHZ intel Core i7
8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
7200 RPM HD
Osx 10.6.8
Computer checked all the way by Tekserve in NY, all good they say.
Driver: v1.72
Firmware: v115
Totalmix (no FX) 0.972

Cubase 6.5.1

Problems:

1. After 15 - 30 minutes of (light) use, clicks, pops on recording and playback, Kernel pretty high:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5O1JGZlzQo

2. I can do bigger mixes on my internal audio on 2048 then on RME on 1024,  RME starts to sputter very soon. (official reply: sorry, there is no higher setting. This should not affect the software, though.) well it DOES!

I'm selling my device if I'm not getting some real replies within this week.

Official support: If you don't know an answer AT LEAST ACKNOWLEDGE me asking a question, don't answer the easy stuff and pretent that was it!!
Would be easy if there would actually be a person you can call of skype with!

Thanks,

Ruben

@Ruben: Which Macbook Pro model is this (year)? Next week I can try to reproduce the issues on my early 2011 MBP. Could you offer a simple Cubase project to download that allows to reproduce this? Does it happen when you are not using any external plugins?

rubensamama wrote:

Fireface UC is unusable, still having massive issues with it.
My computer has brand new HD, clean OSX install, 8 gig of Ram, Latest drivers etc. it's fine, also works with other interfaces, but with Fireface Kernel goes nuts Asio goes nuts.

Since there is no ASIO in OSX, what exactly does this refer to?

1. After 15 - 30 minutes of (light) use, clicks, pops on recording and playback, Kernel pretty high:

If there were an issue of the FF, it would likely turn up straight away, there is really nothing that can "build up" over time here. On the other hand, within your software or specific plgins, there could be several things like memory leaks or so

2. I can do bigger mixes on my internal audio on 2048 then on RME on 1024,  RME starts to sputter very soon. (official reply: sorry, there is no higher setting. This should not affect the software, though.) well it DOES!

Please realize it is not the audio interface that "sputters", nor does it actively cause this. The signal that is being sent to the driver from Cubase already contains these dropouts, they occur when the software can no longer handle its tasks within the set latency time. This points to a performance issue of some sort.

I'm selling my device if I'm not getting some real replies within this week.
Official support: If you don't know an answer AT LEAST ACKNOWLEDGE me asking a question, don't answer the easy stuff and pretent that was it!!

While we can help tracking down issues, it is apparent that the actual issue is taking place on the side of the computer and software. The FF is in no way involved in rendering plugins or instruments inside your software. Higher latency would not likely help here, it might delay this specific buildup and subsequent dropouts, but won't likely prevent it.

Since there is no known issue or common problem here, please do not expect an immediate solution, this will require some research on your part. Sometimes the cause of similar mysterious issues turns out to be some software or hardrdware component that was never mentioned.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Try driver version 1.69

MBP M1 Max, 64 Gigs RAM, IOS Ventura
ADI-8 QS and UAD Apollo Twin Thunderbolt

@Timur,   bought my mac in 2011 but just found out with the serial it's a halfway 2010 Macbook, I can get you a simple cubase project but I also have these problems just when I'm tracking with nothing on it, no VST's no plugs, nothing, even while just recording one track, after a while the kernel starts to act up.
I do appreciate your help though!

Have you tested this with other software, e.g. Reaper?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

@Daniel Fuchs,

Since there is no ASIO in OSX, what exactly does this refer to?

the ASIO I'm referring to you can see in the Youtube video, in Cubase: VST Performance, it's the amount of CPU used I guess, all jerky because the Kernel is eating all the CPU.

If there were an issue of the FF, it would likely turn up straight away, there is really nothing that can "build up" over time here. On the other hand, within your software or specific plgins, there could be several things like memory leaks or so

Maybe there isn't a problem with the device but I can't explain why I only have these problems with the RME unit and not with my mBox, firepod or a Duet2. To me that seems like the Device is not working or the Drivers are bad. Also I'm not sure how I can find out what leaks.

Please realize it is not the audio interface that "sputters", nor does it actively cause this. The signal that is being sent to the driver from Cubase already contains these dropouts, they occur when the software can no longer handle its tasks within the set latency time. This points to a performance issue of some sort.

I understand the Buffer size problem but again, I can't explain why I can do bigger mixes on my mbox/Duet/Buildinaudio etc on 2048 than on the Fireface on 1024. if it's in the computer shouldn't it be a problem with all Devices?

While we can help tracking down issues, it is apparent that the actual issue is taking place on the side of the computer and software. The FF is in no way involved in rendering plugins or instruments inside your software. Higher latency would not likely help here, it might delay this specific buildup and subsequent dropouts, but won't likely prevent it.

Since there is no known issue or common problem here, please do not expect an immediate solution, this will require some research on your part. Sometimes the cause of similar mysterious issues turns out to be some software or hardrdware component that was never mentioned.

I understand your reasoning about the problem being a software/computer issue and I'm aware of the fact that I need (and have done so) to do research, it's all I've been doing in the past 2 weeks instead of all the work I need to finish. I've brought in my computer twice for check-up, I've been all over the web trying to find a solution for this problem but I can't find one. Besides that I'm glad you are answering these questions, I know we've been in contact over the mail and I've asked different questions at different times but if there are a few days between answers that means a few days of work lost and stress added, besides that I've had a thread on here where I was "sort of" getting some response from Matthias Carstens but he was ignoring some of my questions while answering others, this made it even more frustrating as you might understand.
Also, because there is no phone-number to call there really isn't any way of knowing if anybody is actually reading your mails or working on it.

I do appreciate the fact you're answering all the questions and I hope to figure this out soon!

Ruben

did you try the same Fireface with another computer ??

@esteban, I haven't had the time to do so, I know I should give it a shot, just need to find one I can install everything I use on to simulate my workflow with the Device.

@Daniel and Timur, Just got Kernel problems with the Duet2, I borrowed it and worked well the first days, now it's doing the same thing as the fireface, Mbox still works fine, could it be a usb2 problem in my computer? Mbox is usb1 and Firepod is Firewire.

An interesting development, if you will permit me the comment... cool
Have you gone through all available USB ports? Any other USB devices connected?

If, as you suspected, there were an issue of the drivers, the forum would represent that quite clearly.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

@daniel,  I've just been running some tests, and right now it seems like its all going crazy!

both usb ports give the kernel spikes up to 200% after a while if I plug the RME or the Duet in and use it with Cubase,
crazy enough if I just play the project, it's O.K.
but as soon as I start to move things around while audio is playing, Kernel goes nuts.
If I then change driver to build-in audio it still Spikes, BUT if I unplug the device and close totalmix, everything is normal and I can use cubase without a problem. If I use the Mbox it is also no problem but that's not USB2
I only have an ilok and a cubase dongle connected through a little usb powered hub, I have a few, changed them but that doesn't seem to matter.

SO WEIRD!

A bit of humility, please. It happens all the time, I have read tones of posts like this. People start asking, then shouting, it goes on with claimings, and then, most of the times -like now- the problem was caused by something else. Too bad...

@ esteban,

I spend a lot of money on a product that didn't work with my set up, I didn't (and still) don't know why, my first thought was that my computer was not working properly, so I brought it in, got it back with an "all good" label, so my next thought would be "the device" since my other device worked. Now I know the RME is not the issue here but if you don't know why something doesn't work and you are not getting the right support, that is very very frustrating, especially since I'm not using this for a hobby, it's for my work, I don't have 2 weeks to just wait and hope for an answer tomorrow or the day after or the day after.

Daniel Fuchs has always replied to my mails with full answers and I'm grateful for that but sometimes it took a while which means I don't know when I'll get a reply, which means I'm still in the dark and unable to work, so I posted on the forum, this other guy from RME has structurally ignored some questions which meant days and days of not being able to work or at least figure out a cause. He didn't even say, "I'll get back to you", or even acknowledge that I asked him a question. That means I'm lost and don't know what to do or expect. Maybe there is a reason you've read tons of angry posts like this and maybe there is something to be done from the Support side of it to make sure that you feel like your not just talking to a wall because after a while you will scream.

Again, I know now that the Device is not the problem here and reading all the rave reviews + the times I was able to work the Device I know it's a killer piece of equipment, but I think, with the right help, I could've found that out sooner and that would have saved me a lot of stress.

and just "Too bad" doesn't cut it, I hope you've never been in a deadline situation before with malfunctioning equipment and I hope you'll never will, but without offering help here it seems quite redundant to post a message.

Ruben

Question is now what causes these issues for you. Best thing you can do is take another harddrive (can be connected any way you like) and do a clean installation of OS X + Cubase + Firewire drivers then check how it works. It's not unlikely that you are suffering from a software based problem rather than hardware, so a clean test installation would clarify that part.

@ Timur, When I started having the issues, besides having my comp checked out all the way, I bought a new internal HD because I wanted a faster HD and I'm having the same problems on the new HD with a clean install. I'll try it with an external today though! Is it possible that my USB ports are just not working well anymore? In the past I've had problems with having to plug-in external HD's a few times before my Mac would recognize them, this never happened with the RME but it does with the DUET which is bus powered.

Thanks!

Sounds a bit like an USB problem, but I wonder why it happens with all three ports then (two of which are connected to the same internal hub, but not the third)?!

Is Bluetooth enabled and does it make any difference whether you disable it? You don't happen to have Bootcamp installed so that we could analyze these things with a different OS on the same hardware?

By "clean install", do you mean that you copied over an image to the new HD or did you do a full fresh installation of OS X and the applications without copying over your old software and settings?

Timur Born wrote:

By "clean install", do you mean that you copied over an image to the new HD or did you do a full fresh installation of OS X and the applications without copying over your old software and settings?

AFAIK there are no problems if one does a clean install (i.e. from DVD to a blank drive) and then uses the migration assistant to copy programs and settings from a previous installation. Works fine here on two different installations of 10.7, with imported 10.6 software.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

@ Timur & Daniel

By Clean install I mean, fresh from the disk and all programs re-installed, no migration.
New Development, I wanted to install everything on an external HD, but the USB port started to drop a few times and unmounted itself. Brought my computer in and of course nothing looked wrong and when I wanted to show the problem (I found a way to trigger it) it worked fine... Murphy's Law is relentless as always. But! since it was my 4th time coming in with the same issue they didn't even blink and said they'll replace my Logic-Board! I rented a macbook from them and am installing all my Software today to see what happens, if it's a software issue we'll know today!

thanks again for the help!

Ruben

rubensamama wrote:

I understand the Buffer size problem but again, I can't explain why I can do bigger mixes on my mbox/Duet/Buildinaudio etc on 2048 than on the Fireface on 1024. if it's in the computer shouldn't it be a problem with all Devices?

I totally agree on ruben's moment, same case here. Computer is not the probelm. I do bigger mixes on mbox/ even m-audio firewire 1814 handles better on 1024 (not to mention 2048, which i like to use for bigger projects) because that i personally hope for my RME UCX to have 2048 option available on the future driver update beacause of that.

just to confirm, you have a project when running for a while cripples your Mac but if you open this exact same project using another sound card attached you have no problems whatsover?. Can you confirm that these cards that work ok are all using the same buffer and sampling rates as the RME, i.e you are not using 44.1 on the mbox and something silly like 192 on the fireface. Sorry if this seems like an obvious question but it doesnt seem to have come up yet.

48khz both cases same buffer lenght. different behaviour. Btw im not an expert that can pinpoint the problem, if i knew i wouldn't be begging for the expert opinion and driver update on the forum.

what have you done to narrow this down to a particular plugin, have you dont a full rebuild of OSX and created a new project with no 3rd party vstis installed yet to see how far you can push the machine before it does it again?

try this:
Cubase/Nuendo (win7 64bit):
Devices - Device Setup - VST Audio System - Uncheck Mulit Processing!
for me it causes lots of clicks and drops, even if the buffer size was big enough (256 example)

Priit