1 (edited by hoots 2012-11-18 08:15:34)

Topic: Low Volume

Hi all, I just recieved my UFX the other day and was gigging so I didn't have time to do much with it. I loaded the drivers on my WIN7 64 bit machine with no problems. I then ported SONAR X1 and a soft sampler and plugged in headphones and it worked and sounded great, no problems and plenty loud. Today I pulled my MOTU 828 MK3 out of the rack and upgraded to the UFX. When I was finished I plugged in all the appropriate cables and booted my machine and I can't get any volume out of ANY output port. It is deffinatly working and I can hear it but it's almost like there's a pad of some kind on the ports. I make a drive image with Acronis True Image before I make any changes on my studio rig so I loaded the image from before I added the UFX and reinstalled with the same low volume results. I discovered the "reference level" paragraph on page 58 and tried that with little difference. The only change from 2 days ago till today was installing it in my rack. I wouldn't call myself a "guru" but I've been doing audio on a computer for 20+ years and I've checked everything I can think of. I'm sure it's something easy I've overlooked but I can't find it. Any help would be appreciated because I really want to play with this awesome piece of equipment I just got. By the way, I'm using it via Firewire. Also all meters in totalmix are showing hot.

OK holy s__t, I was just editing this post while listening to a sequence from SONAR and a Soft Sampler and for no appaerant reason the volume kicked in mid stream! It's loud and sounding great. Was it some keystroke I happened upon while typing? This bothers me if I can't reproduce it and know why it happened. I use this equipment live and I need reliable. Anyone have any ideas?

Alright, I'm sorry to keep rambling but, I was listening through phones 9/10 and as soon as I plugged a mic cable, not attached to anything on the other end yet, into the main outs I lost volume again. I unplugged it letting the sequence play on and about 3 minutes later the volume kicked back in. Strange

Thanks
hoots

Re: Low Volume

That is indeed strange. TotalMix will show all relevant settings. If output level fader and fixed gain (+4 etc) is unchanged, check the DIM state. Verify the recall function. Disable the master Mute and Solo function.

Finally hit the top of the case - maybe plugging in the cable just showed a contact problem within the unit.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by hoots 2012-11-18 09:21:52)

Wow, thanks so much for the quick reply. I guess I'm benefitting from the time difference from there to Alaska. I did wack the top of it but I also disabled the master mute. Is what I did with the mute correct operation? I can enable/disable it while it's playing now with no problem. What page is the master mute info on so I can be familiar with it? It's working perfectly now
I'll have to look into DIM state cause that sounds plausable to what was happening but DIM doesn't seem to work on all outputs at the same time

hoots

4 (edited by hoots 2012-11-18 12:41:39)

So, I've been watching a concert on DVD for the last hour or so, nowhere near the keyboard or mouse and all of a sudden lost volume again for no reason. Same thing with USB. I installed it on my laptop with the same result. Something isn't right here

hoots