Topic: FF800 midi specification and Studio Electronics OS update

Hello,
I on the way to update my SE-1X Studio Electronics OS, but I would to know some midi specification that i haven't find in the manual of my FireFace 800.

I just copy in the SE-1X manual what make me wondering about my FF800 concerning the midi specification that could damage my SE-1X if update it with the Sysex :
"Set your MIDI interface to 1MHz (this has nothing to do with "tempo" - which is preset), or whatever your slowest transmission speed is, for if you do not - again - you will savage, decidedly irreparably, your Flash-ROM chip."

Is the FF 800 set on that 1 MHz ?
I get lost with that...

Thks and sorry for my english.

Re: FF800 midi specification and Studio Electronics OS update

Me too, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by tepa 2012-11-26 22:30:59)

I did some research, but i don't know if this can help to explain....
Thx

"The 1MHz is the clock speed of the UART (serial chip with no 'smarts') and sets the Midi transmitting speed.
The serial port speed of MIDI is easy to generate from a 1MHz clock   - 1,000,000 / 32 = 31,250baud )
The Midi spec says that there can be some deviation (+/- 1%) in the Midi tx speed and my guess is the OS update doesn't want to miss a byte of the transmission once it starts loading a new OS."

That is not really relevant information. SysEx sending to your synth involves not only our hardware, but also the OS and the driver. Both have a big impact on what is send and with what 'speed'. The main problem here is that you seem to say that the SE does not have any fallback firmware, means flashing failed - unit dead. In that case I can only recommend to use a MIDI I/O device that is known to work for this process on your specific platform.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok, thx for answering me and the info.
Iam a newbe in the analogue gear, better to take my time.
I don't have preamp yet but the SE sound already hot plug directly to your RME : )