Topic: New UFX User

Hi All,

first off im happy to say im finally an owner of a UFX. :-)

i just connected this unit and wondering about some configuration steps with an external DAC.
i just did an A/B with my external DAC and im going to route SPDIF from the UFX to my DAC (maybe im just used to the sound of my DAC).

please excuse my newbish questions i was an analog guy in the early 90's in a couple of larger studios. ive since left the industry but still play in my home studio.
my MOTU 828mk2 just died (again) so it was time for a real interface, hence the UFX.

right now the only way i have gotten sound out of my External DAC was to assign "ADAT2 Out" in the USB settings to "AES/SPDIF"
in TotalMix ive assigned my "Main" to "AES". im using the "ADAT 2" out in the back of the unit to attach to my DAC

my first question is, is it normal to now see within "Hardware Outputs" both "ADAT 1/2" and "ADAT 3/4" with levels while being unable to control them with the volume sliders or the channel mutes? i do see "AN 1/2" under "Software Playback" with levels that i am unable to control as well.

ive also assigned my secondary monitors through the "AN 1/2" on "Speaker B" when i hit the "Speak. B" button it toggles to my secondary monitors but it will not route audio through both outputs at the same time (although i rarely have both on at the same time). is this normal as well?

again im sorry if this is quite newbish but maybe i just dont understand the routing in this unit yet.

thank you in advance.

Jon

Re: New UFX User

Hi Jon,

Welcome to the forum!

Is there no way to transfer the serial to become a US one? It seems a bit unfortunate / ridiculous that this is the case. I don't mind paying a fee to transfer that way if I ever sell I don't have to worry about the next guy having the same issue.

This is normal, Speaker B is a switch for 2 sets of monitors, you would not want both operational at the same time.

my first question is, is it normal to now see within "Hardware Outputs" both "ADAT 1/2" and "ADAT 3/4" with levels while being unable to control them with the volume sliders or the channel mutes? i do see "AN 1/2" under "Software Playback" with levels that i am unable to control as well.

What do you mean by this?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

thanks! im glad to see there is a great community here smile

i think the easiest way is to show you a picture:
screen shot

this is while playing via AES/SPDIF to my external DAC notice the ADAT 1/2 and 3/4 and the AN 1/2 are all showing the audio.

Click on the ADAT output in the third row, it gets highlighted, then move the fader of Playback 1/2 down. More info:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5039

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME