Topic: Early FF800 Hardware Update?

Proud owner of a Fireface 800-Rev.1.0. Purchased newly, back in 2004.
Picked up the information, that minor hardware modifications by RME are possible or advisable
for certain FF800 releases.

Not experiencing any persistent troubles except very rare freezes, when the FF800 hangs up and fires a continuos erratic "staccato" sound (while showing no red host light) until the unit is shut down.
Windows (XP/Vista/Win8, 3 different dedicated computers over the course of time) and Nuendo/Cubase always kept running on, except complaining about the loss of audio interface.
It's been happening since I purchased FF800 in 2004, but rarely enough not to worry about.

Just had one of those freezes the other night after connecting a pair of TS cables to FF800s input 1&2 to record some eDrums, like I so often do. (The unit was working fine for the preceding 8 hours)
This time the FF800 kept going staccato minutes after each reboot.

I re-installed latest drivers/fut, switched connection from the built in FW400 port to my FW backup LaCie epresscard FW800, repeatedly rebooting computer and FF800 to no avail.

Then I connected the 2 TS cables to front FF800s input 9/10 and my FF800 recovered and ran on dutifully.
The TS cables are back now at rear inputs 1/2, and the unit still works nicely. And will probably do so for weeks.

So, I figured, if there's a hardware mod available, it'd be worth a shot.

Would my unit benefit from modding?
Is the serial number the one on the tiny sticker with the barcode on it, sitting atop of rear input 1/2?
How long would the unit be gone for modding, usually?

On a side note: My FF800 usually sits openly on a side desk, exposed to plenty of cool air.
It has been moved around to locations by car and plane a lot, carefully packed and protected, but never impacted
hard or fell. It still looks, and even more important, sounds new smile

Thank you all kindly for your time and assistance,

Erbs

Re: Early FF800 Hardware Update?

There is no hardware mod available for your unit. The freezes can have different reasons, computer, FW chip, FW cable, FW drivers, and a dying FF power supply. But then you have it all the time, not sometimes...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by Erbs Bischof 2012-12-01 21:52:44)

Re: Early FF800 Hardware Update?

Ok, those staccato freezes became more and more frequent lately, occuring almost every 10-20 minutes
after each start of operation.
The unit went to the shop for a thorough overhaul.
Using an unworthy Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 as replacement atm, void of any freezes or any other unwelcome behaviour, connected to the very same Firewire setup and DAW machinery.
The techies at the shop as well consider the FF800s dying power supply unit to be the culprit.

Fingers crossed, it's just that.

But, thanks again MC for your input. Can't wait to have my FF back.