1 (edited by fl 2012-11-07 18:06:09)

Topic: Firewire via Thunderbolt Adaptor under Bootcamp - No Go?

Has anyone managed to operate a Fireface 800 or 400 with a Thunderbolt adaptor while running Windows (any version) under Bootcamp (any version)?

I currently use a Fireface 800 with a 2007 MacBook Pro (version 3.1/A1226) running Bootcamp with Windows XP so I can use Pyramix. Works great, it's stable, and provides all the functionality my recording clients could want.

Since new Macs no longer have the Firewire ports, continued use of the Fireface 800 with a new Mac would require a Thunderbolt-to-Firewire adaptor.

Everything I've read suggests that, under Windows via Bootcamp, ASIO will not function through a Thunderbolt connection, therefore my Mac/Bootcamp/Firewire set-up would no longer work.

Or am I mistaken...?

Frank Lockwood
https://LockwoodARS.com
Fireface 800, Firmware 2.77
Drivers: Win10, 3.125; Mac, 3.36

Re: Firewire via Thunderbolt Adaptor under Bootcamp - No Go?

I successfully tested a TB->ExpressCard->Firewire adapter and already bought the TB->Firewire adapter for testing. New born baby, a mountain of flu/cold and whatnot connected illnesses and other stuff kept me from testing the latter. I will do it this week using Windows 7 as I don't have a running bootcamped XP installation ready.

Especially XP might be a problem, because Microsoft only offer official TB support since Windows 8 while it also seems to work in W7. One drawback of the TB->ExpressCard->Firewire solution was that you cannot daisy-chain several Firefaces at low latency settings on bootcamped Windows (OS X worked, single Firefaces worked without issues, too).

Thanks Timur, I hope you and the offspring get well soon.

So many stars have to align in this particular constellation: Windows version, Bootcamp version, Mac computer model, Firewire chip in the adaptor, compatible hardware drivers, all those pesky connectors of different shapes and sizes...

Frank Lockwood

Frank, sorry for not getting back to you earlier. Lack of time and the fact that the topic is a bit more complex than what we all would like it to be.

I am still not through with all my tests, but generally the Adapter works well. It uses the same LSI/Agere based FW chipset that is used for the onboard FW Ports of older (like my 2011) MBP. There are some caveats with the Windows FW driver and possibly with Windows power-scheme settings (the latter only seems to slightly affects throughput of FW harddrives, though). Tests with aggregating several Firefaces are still under-way, but look good so far.

Once I am done with the rest I will report back.

Thanks Timur.
The testing you do is a valuable service for everyone here, so please take whatever time you need.
Thanks again for all you do.

Frank Lockwood