1 (edited by gswitz 2012-12-13 04:44:50)

Topic: New user with basic issues/questions

Please don't respond rtfm :-) I'm trying. I've been reading. Watching youtube. I thought I'd try a post to this forum.

I have a brand new UCX (brought it home yesterday). I updated the firmware and got the USB working. I ran my old interface into it  connected using SPDIF with the old device on external clock source. This gives me a total of 10 tracks to record plus I can use the 2 additional headphones jacks on my old device, so using it like a headphones amp. Totally cool.

Next, I used the midi to my old Tascam 2488 and set the 2488 to slave so that now I'm up to 18 concurrent tracks. I can record 10 at 24 bit 96K or 88.2K using my old interface + the RME UCX and the last 8 at 24 bit 44.1 on the Tascam midi sync'd. It should work ok, I'm thinking.

I came home tonight and tried to install the Fireware driver. I have a firewire plug on my computer I have never used and I just wanted to test the interface with it. I plugged it in and installed the latest driver (firewire driver from the website). It shows up in device manager properly after installing the driver. When I try to use Sonar, Sonar just hangs. (Note: it only hangs when using Firewire to the UCX not using USB).

Here's my first question...
- do I have to do something on the device? I notice that you have to switch it to CC for class compliant. The device is not in class compliant mode. It is working with USB. I'm guessing I shouldn't need to uninstall the USB driver before installing the Firewire driver. Any thoughts as to how I might try to get the firewire working would be appreciated. I mainly like the idea of not having to plug the device in to the wall to use it.

Next question,
-10 dBv, +4dBv, low gain... is there guidance for when to use which? Last night I plugged in my guitar and set it to +4 and later to -10. How do I choose between these 3 settings?

Last, when restarting my PC I get questions about exes trying to start and do I want to allow them. How should I best handle this so I don't have to always answer these questions?

Thanks!!

Re: New user with basic issues/questions

gswitz wrote:

- do I have to do something on the device? I notice that you have to switch it to CC for class compliant. The device is not in class compliant mode. It is working with USB. I'm guessing I shouldn't need to uninstall the USB driver before installing the Firewire driver. Any thoughts as to how I might try to get the firewire working would be appreciated. I mainly like the idea of not having to plug the device in to the wall to use it.

Nothing to do with the device, probably just an issue of your FireWire card on the PC. If this is a Windows 7 OS, you can try rolling back to use the (Legacy) driver provided by Microsoft, sometimes this helps.

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12742

gswitz wrote:

Next question,
-10 dBv, +4dBv, low gain... is there guidance for when to use which? Last night I plugged in my guitar and set it to +4 and later to -10. How do I choose between these 3 settings?

Depends what you connect. These options allow you to do proper gain staging with different connected devices. If you plug in a guitar or bass directly you should use input 3 or 4 on the front, with "Inst" selected for the input channel in TotalMix FX. Then you also have some extra preamp control for the instrument signal.

gswitz wrote:

Last, when restarting my PC I get questions about exes trying to start and do I want to allow them. How should I best handle this so I don't have to always answer these questions?

Uncheck "Ask me every time" then click Run.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.