1 (edited by bryantabuteau 2012-06-12 10:58:00)

Topic: FF 800 - Host LED lit, not recognised on multiple computers

Hi, I've had my FF800 for a few years now, worked flawlessly (apart from a clicky scratchy headphone output - doesn't concern me), I switch between my home desktop using firewire 400 (6 pin), and my laptop (ADK) also using firewire 400 (4 pin).

Today, after unplugging it to take it to practice (I keep it in a portable rack case) and back again, and it doesn't connect to my desktop (ie host light red).   I tried cycling the power and unplugging/replugging the cable, not helping.   Got my laptop out, tried with that (different cable 6pin->4pin) and same thing, host light red.   

I'm thinking my next move is try and see if I can get a firewire 400 -> 800 cable and see if it makes any difference, but something tells me something might be wrong with the fireface (doesn't work on two different computers with 2 different cables that were working fine previously).

Any suggestions?   Maybe (hopefully) some weird firmware thing I can reset myself?  would hate to be without this, and being in NZ, I don't imagine it will be a quick or cheap repair if I have to send it overseas.

Re: FF 800 - Host LED lit, not recognised on multiple computers

DId you dis-/connect the unit while the computer was on?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Not that I was aware of, but I can't rule that out.  My normal procedure is to switch the power off before unplugging, but I can't recall exactly what I did after my practice.    Will this cause the unit to fail?

I'm having the same problem...I need help

Host red light is on the FF800.  The computer will not recognize.

I contacted the local distributor after not getting a further response here, and they said that it may mean that the firewire chip is blown and it could need an entire mainboard replacement.   In my particular case though, the Firewire800 ports were still working, just the 400 were busted, so I just got a new firewire cable to go from 6pin 400 to 9pin 800 and everything was back running again.

I have the same problem. Working for years and suddenly, no host on multiple computer (on 400). I will try 800 cable solution mentioned below. Can RME repair it ?