Hi everyone!
I need a 8 chanel adda converter for my creamware scope
platform(adat connection) I`m only interesting about sound quality of
rme converters(no need preamps,other interface) so wich solution is the
best for me:

1.multiface
2.fireface
3.adi 8 (pro-ds-qs)

is there differences in sound quality between these converers?

cheers Bojan.

Re: converter question

nobody???

Hi,

sure, there are differences between these converters. The newest one with the highest Quality is the ADI8-QS. If you only need a converter I recommend the ADI8-DS or QS. Which one depends on the Samplerates you want to work with and your budget. :-)

Here is some more information about the products: http://www.rme-audio.de/products.php

Regards,
Claudio

Hi Claudio

why people always compare fireface 800 with other brend converters(never adi ds-qs)?
is there someting special about ff800?

Hi,

I don't know. FF800 was not build as a Converter but as a Multichannel (Multipurpose) Firewire Interface. Sure it HAS ADDA Converters and they are really good. The Audio-Performance of the FF is (one of) the best in its Interface-class. Maybe that is why people use it also as a (standalone-)Converter. So do I.

But if you search a Converter without computer interface you should have a look on ADI8-DS/QS. They are build to do nothing but High-End Audio conversion. I think that is more closer to what you need. The FF800 can be used stand-alone, but you will need to connect it to a computer to (re-)configure it.

Regards,
Claudio

For our german users: A detailed and exceptional good review review of the ADI-8 QS can be found in the german high-end pro-audio equipment mag "Studio Magazin" (10/07).

regards
Knut

...a link please?

found it ... :-)
http://www.studio-magazin.de/Leseproben/RME_MIxtasy.pdf

regards S-EH

Hello,

I have ended up the installation of the 8-QS hooked up to an HDSP9652 by four ADAT into my analogue audiophile multichannel array
I usually rate the audio equipment as being good neutral very good wink excellent :-)exceptional :-D ultimate :-O
I expected my RME equipment to apply at level :-) and from now on it fits the bill, and stands at the right place among others home high end audio equipment
At first, I started with the QS being self clocked to ADAT's and got some schrinked stereo image and depth, such a radio like music, not my expectation to be honest
Then I used to sync its inputs with the HDSP word clock, connected with RG59 (75 ohms type) basic video cable - nothing esoteric here - and much important I switched on the 75 ohms load resistor at the QS back panel to provide an overall low impedance line
:-O what a change :-O
Welcome now to the great sound, deep and wide, neutral, cleanful, well contoured voices...bla bla
Whatever cassettes, vinyl, CD's sampled at 16/44 up to high definition DVD-A audio at 24/96 or evenmore ultimate high resolution multichannel SACD's analogue backup, the results are of excellent quality without any noticeable difference in the focus we have in the audiophile world of complicated people
The package of utilities that comes with is just amazing and useful for any "on the fly" recording and audio management
But in charge of this, is that one should keep constantly an eye on what's going on with the mixing and routing setup, Digicheck monitoring and so on, due to the extreme versatility provided for stereo up to multi channel configurations
The use of its MIDI remote panel is a piece of cake and highly recommended, in contrary to the rotary knob and I/O's matrix display -not that fun and a confusing process to access the setup area needed-
The weak point here comes from the 8-QS ADAT sockets, where only low cost and plastic made lightpipes can hook without getting out when pulling on it ed:
I've been obliged to change my former - quite rigid - lightpipes to more flexible ones, but their head still do not latch properly into the sockets, while it connects properly at the HDSP 9652 side...so I have clamped them to the plate to avoid it getting out by the pulling force or vibrations ed:
I was a bit aware about the TRS jacks, but the Neutrik plugs I use have a perfect mechanical match with the sockets here :-)
I would have quoted level four :-D with much better quality ADAT sockets, I/O's & AES featuting XLR gold plated connectors, LCD display housed into 2U box,and........dark grey/black or champagne front panel finishing
However, the core audio is of such a quality that one can now forget it for a while and focus on other issues further on
Hope my feedback to be useful for the community
Kind regards,

Pierre

HDSP9632, HDSP9652, ADI-8QS, FFUC, Quadmic II