1 (edited by Nitrosharp 2012-12-16 02:40:28)

Topic: TotalMix - Gain freeze?

Is it possible to freeze the Gain knob in TotalMix, so that it doesn't auto-adjust the volume of my mic?

I'm using a Babyface, with a mic connected to XLR "Line in L" (what it says on the XLR breakout cable), and can control the mic volume on the AN 1 channel strip, with 48V on, and gain set to 42.0 which sounds fine. Problem is, when I begin to record a conversation over Skype (via Cubase or Garageband - I'm on a Mac), the Gain knob keeps auto-adjusting itself, and either makes my voice or the other persons voice extremely loud (60) or very quite (drops to 20 or lower - Skype call test drops the gain down to 0). Why is this auto-adjusting the volume? Can I freeze it somehow so that it stays at 42?

Here's a screenshot of my settings -

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q706/Nitrosharp/ScreenShot2012-12-15at85411AM_zps7e3cf7ec.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

*EDIT*

I managed to fix the problem somehow - or maybe it was a software glitch, but it seems to be working at the moment.

Screenshot of current settings (working, no gain problems) -

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q706/Nitrosharp/ScreenShot2012-12-15at83344PM_zps7ba0d9a2.png

NS

Re: TotalMix - Gain freeze?

Bumping this. I'm having *very severe* problems in a similar vein: Skype seemingly randomly adjusts mic volume during calls, even when "Automatically adjust volume settings" is *unchecked*. It tends to cause huge bursts of very painful feedback and will continually adjust the level during calls.

Does anybody have a solution? I don't expect much from Skype but perhaps it's possible to completely disconnect external control of Totalmix?

Babyface, Macbook Pro 2015, OSX 10.14.6

Re: TotalMix - Gain freeze?

I recently had this issue with my Babyface Pro and the way that I found to "fix" it, but I'm not sure if it's reproducible, is:

1. Choose [insert RME interface here].
2. Uncheck "adjust microphone gain automatically"
3. Move the microphone gain slider manually *in Skype* to a desired gain level. I found that for a condenser, setting it to 1 in Skype was equivalent to 21 in Totalmix, which was where I was looking for.
4. Do a test call and ensure it doesn't automatically move the gain knob again in Totalmix.

Just putting it here for future problem solvers as this was never really resolved. Hopefully this can whittle down what the problem really is.