Topic: are there any different gain values between UC and Babyface ?

I own both a UC and a Babyface.
I choose which one to use depending form the situation I am going to play in and I have a "root" Audiomulch patch in which I route my signal through native contramptions and Vsts. I use the UC  when I want to add my hardware processors to software processing, of course the Audiomulch patch is different in this case.

I have been trying to do a thing I have never tried before: I used the UC with the SAME patch made with just the native Audiomulch contramptions and Vsts. Patch that I always use with the Babyface.
I noticed a big volume difference.

UC is set to +4dB
Output is at unity gain
Input is set to instrument at +6 dB

Babyface Output is at unity gain
Input is set to instrument +18 dB

The input level difference is huge, although the BF has much more input gain
the Output is also much higher on the UC, but I suspect it must be because of the +4dB settings.

Any light on this ?

thanks,
Luca

Re: are there any different gain values between UC and Babyface ?

I feel I should specify I am using the BF guitar input and outputs from the main hardware, not the ones from the breakout cable.

The light is in the manual, which lists the exact levels on the inputs and outputs of both devices. To use them in the same situation you will have to adjust them to be identical.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you Matthias,
I couldn't find the references you talk about but I am sure they are there.
If I could find them I probably wouldn't have been to use them anyway roll

Both UC and Babyface list the exact input and output levels in the Technical Specifications chapter. So it is easy to see the differences in levels between them.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

thanks Matthias,
then the only difference is that with the UC you have the option to set different reference levels:

"Line In
Defines the reference level of the rear analog inputs 5-8. The available settings are -10 dBV, +4
dBu and LoGain.
Line Out
Defines the reference level of the rear analog outputs 1-6. The available settings are -10 dBV,
+4 dBu and HiGain."

It looks like this option isn't available on the Babyface.
Am I correct ?

This means that I can compare gain settings between the two at the condition that the UC to be set at -10dB.

thanks,
Luca

> It looks like this option isn't available on the Babyface. Am I correct ?

Yes.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME