Topic: FireFace UCX not working with Logic Pro 9

Hey, so I got the Fireface UCX for Christmas. I have installed the latest drivers for Mac OSX. I have set up system preferences so that the UCX is set to input and output. I have then opened up Logic Pro 9 and gone to preferences and audio, and set the UCX to the input and output. I plugged my mic into input one on the UCX, and it shows signal coming through, both on the LED and on the channel in TotalMix. I make a new audio channel (mono) in Logic and set the input to 1 and the output to stereo out. However, no signal is being picked up on Logic at all. Can someone help me?

Re: FireFace UCX not working with Logic Pro 9

Did you arm the track for recording?

Okay I figured it out kind of. I have set the gain levels in TotalMix to a nice level. However, even though the gain level in TotalMix is perfect, it barely shows up on Logic's channel fader - it shows as being a super low level on the channel. I can record, but again the gain level is too low. I do not know why this is the case, because the gain level is fine in TotalMix. What is going wrong?

And how do I "arm" a track for recording???

I guess I am going to have to return the product. I have read the manuals and watched videos on youtube. It has so many complex things it can do, but it fails to allow me to do the simplest thing it should allow me to do - to get my input signal from Mic 1 to a Logic channel at an appropriate volume. The gain level is in the green in TotalMix, but barely even can be seen on the Logic Channel Strip volume monitor. If I turn the gain up via TotalMix anymore, it clips on the interface and I get loads of hiss and extra noise just before that point.

Press the "Record" button on the track in Logic.

Macmini '19 3.2 GHz 6-Core i7, 32GB RAM, MacOS 10.15.2, LogicProX 10.4.8, FF400, UAD2 Satellite Octo

That is not the problem, it is the gain level coming into Logic from the TotalMix.

Hey there,

Maybe a silly question... but have you checked that the input is set correctly in Logic? And that there aren't any plug ins or trim controls set on the channels?

Isaac P

Yeah I have checked it, and it is set up correctly. There are no plugins on the channel.

You can't turn up the input gain using software(AFAIK), use the gain on the UCX and see what happens.

-----------------------

Various ADK computers :-)

alexoosthoek wrote:

You can't turn up the input gain using software(AFAIK), use the gain on the UCX and see what happens.

He can. Preamp gain (and +48V) can be controlled from the software. He obviously can't use the faders for that though 8-)

I tried using the gain on the actual UCX, but then TotalMix said something like its settings weren't the same as UCX. Either way, it didn't work. As I said, I can turn up the gain of the mic via TotalMix to a level that is fine. The problem comes when that signal is going into Logic...it is too quiet. If I turn the gain up even a little more in TotalMix, I get hiss and then soon after the signal clips.

Okay now on the UCX the gain of the mic channel is at 40. However when this goes into Logic, on the Logic channel strip it says the volume of the incoming signal is not peaking at more -16db. What is going wrong in getting the signal from TotalMix to Logic?

Sounds like something is still set incorrectly in Logic. Please check that you have selected the FF UCX as the audio device in Logic Prefs. Otherwise you are probably using input 1 of the built in sound card.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

Sounds like something is still set incorrectly in Logic. Please check that you have selected the FF UCX as the audio device in Logic Prefs. Otherwise you are probably using input 1 of the built in sound card.

It's already set up correctly in Logic Preferences with input and output set to the UCX. The same goes for System Preferences > Sound too. That's set up the same.