Topic: FF800 vs Windows 8 - what's the verdict ?

I'm preparing to upgrade (clean install) Win 8 (64bit) and wondered what's the verdict for this with the FF800 ? 

Thanks,
Rob

Re: FF800 vs Windows 8 - what's the verdict ?

As far as I can tell yet: It works!

The most problematic part is how well your Firewire port (chipset) will work with Microsoft's FW driver stack. On Windows 7 many users had to switch to the "(Legacy)" driver, which is not available anymore on W8 (there is a manual workaround, though).

My own results suggest that the W8 FW driver works better (less CPU intensive) than the non legacy W7 FW driver. That doesn't mean that it will work flawlessly with your own FW port, though (mine are LSI/Agere based, others seem to get in more troubles).

3 (edited by lanstrad 2012-12-09 14:56:12)

Timur, thanks for your answer. Indeed, the FW card i use is one exact model (Siig) that was recommended in this forum (also recommended on Avid forums). Don't have that model name with me right away, but that legacy driver rings a bell too... I'm more on the Mac side of my machine (Hackintosh) since about a year when using ProTools, but boot Windows when i use Sonar.... So just wonder if we have same card??

I am using a Macbook Pro, so my "card" was the internal (LSI based) FW port and for testing the Apple (LSI based) Thunderbolt-to-FW adapter. wink

Just thought I'd chip in: installed Windows 8 on my computer and the Fireface 800 with absolutely no issues whatsoever.

But there is a quirky bug. I'm not sure whether it's Windows 8, Cubase 6.5 or the Fireface unit. If you turn on a connected midi device after turning on the Fireface 800 and then load up Cubase 6.5, it'll open the appropriate windows. But the minute you hit a couple of notes on the midi device, the computer will give a BSOD and restart. Terrible thing when you don't remember about it.

But once everything is up and running, flawless, very happy with the OS.

- Jimmy Rage