Topic: Questions re UFX

The more reading and research I do the more the UFX may be the way I'd like to go for a remote rig. I would love some assistance clearing up a few questions if I may.
- Might the RME in house USB and Firewire drivers improvements also transfer generally to less stringent needs (or cost) for a laptop as a recording platform?
- Not having tried the options at this point I believe I will want at least initially to use a simple DURec setup. But for the added (yet unknown) cost recording to a suitable laptop that would also be very desirable. But tracking to ipad would presumably be way less expensive- apparently not an option with the UFX(?) but perhaps in the future?

And a few in the really basic can't seem to find the answer end..
- What is the nature of the 'muliti-track DURec wav file? Several tracks interleaved like a stereo pair(?), end/stop/restart points dropped in each 2gigs? The splitter app I presume divides them to their individual tracks..
-What depth is the UFX (racked' size -not bit LOL
Thanks again for any help
Wayne

2 (edited by neirbod 2012-12-30 14:35:29)

Re: Questions re UFX

First let me say theUFX is the (nearly) perfect remote rig interface.  The stable drivers and USB recording alone (to use as a backup to your DAW) are enormous benefits compared to other interfaces. 

mixsit wrote:

- Might the RME in house USB and Firewire drivers improvements also transfer generally to less stringent needs (or cost) for a laptop as a recording platform?

You don't need a lot of computing power to just record tracks.  The real power is needed during mixing to run plugins etc.  RME's stable drivers are fantastic and a a big selling point, but I don't think they have much impact on what kind of computer you buy except to make sure your interface plays well with the computer's chipsets (there are other threads on this).  If you are starting from scratch and are looking at a remote rig, and plan to use lost of plugings, I would consider a low power laptop for tracking, and higher power desktop for mixing.  It may be cheaper than a very powerful laptop to do it all.

mixsit wrote:

- Not having tried the options at this point I believe I will want at least initially to use a simple DURec setup. But for the added (yet unknown) cost recording to a suitable laptop that would also be very desirable.

You will want to use both DURec and laptop (or some other DAW) at all times for a remote rig. Some kind of redundant system for backup is essential in case anything goes wrong (bad media for example).  This is the beauty of the UFX - DURec plus a DAW is a nice dual system. 

mixsit wrote:

But tracking to ipad would presumably be way less expensive- apparently not an option with the UFX(?) but perhaps in the future?

A lot of us want to know about this.  RME has said consistently they are working on this but that it is not a high priority. I have not seen an update in quite some time.  Lack of this feature currently is why I call the UFX "nearly perfect."  Matthias?  Any new information?

mixsit wrote:

What is the nature of the 'muliti-track DURec wav file? Several tracks interleaved like a stereo pair(?), end/stop/restart points dropped in each 2gigs? The splitter app I presume divides them to their individual tracks..
-What depth is the UFX (racked' size -not bit LOL

This information is in the manual.  Tracks are interleaved.  The rack size I don't know but the manual will tell you.

Good luck