Topic: Babyface and AKG-K551 (AKG-K550) - distorted sound

Hi,

just got a brand new Babyface and a pair of K551 headphones.

The phones are supposed to be 32 ohms and fairly sensitive at 114 dB SPL/V.

I was expecting magic sound but what I experienced was pretty distorted sound - almost like a sound effect was active making it sound like it was played in a tin can.

I have a very old pair of Sony MDR-V50 and a pair of Sennheiser RS-170 wireless - and they sound OK (well - the Sony's rattle/resonate a tiny bit because the foam and probably part of the driver has dried up and crumbles and the RS-170 have a tendency to power off on low/no sound passages because the babyface is so quiet smile ).

The AKG-K551 seem to sound OK on the direct Macbook Pro audio out (the tin can experience is not there).

I was hoping the K551 would be a decent match for the Babyface having read that it needs low ohm phones (and the K551 specifically mentions that it will work with e.g. an iPhone on the box) and getting decent reviews (these phones are essentially the same as AKG-K550 but with a different cable and available in a nice white color if I understand correctly)

I have not played the phones very long yet - but I recall that AKG mentions their drivers should (?) not benefit from burn-in. (And to me it feels like this is more of an electrical issue...)

Help!

Has someone experienced this before?

Is there an easy way to test if my dear Babyface built-in phone amp is defective?

(I will primarily be using this for listening - I do have a reference microphone which I guess I could do some basic input tests with including verifying phantom power)

Could it be that the phones are too sensitive?

Hoping for a comforting and/or helpful answer so that I may begin the new year with musical magic smile

regards,
Christian

Re: Babyface and AKG-K551 (AKG-K550) - distorted sound

Solved!!
cool:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Ahhhh - Wonderful sound...

I tried it with my Etymotic HF2 and had the same tin can experience.

Shaking my head in doubt wondering how to resolve my solution I heard something briefly as I unplugged the phones...

Both the AKG-K551 and the Etymotics HF2 are 3.5mm with microphone - tip ring ring sleeve.

And even though I already tried with two different 6.3mm adapters (different brands) it seems this is somehow the problem!

Using another short 3.5mm cable into the 6.3mm adapter or plugging the phones in partially (leaving one or 2 mm instead of just plugging them in all the way in) seems to solve the problem rendering a most satisfactory sound smile

Now I am chasing cables or adapters...

Oh well - last year (2012) ended well for me gear experience wise and I hope the same goes for everyone else.

With only a short while listening I am currently very happy with the combination!

regards,
Christian