Topic: new to digital new to rme adat splitter needed

greetings
I'm a bit new to digital and totally new to computer DAW recording etc. 

To record school choirs, orchestra's, folk bands, soloists etc, i used to do this:

x2 pre's (ISA828/Audient 008) - ADAT to Yamaha AW2400/Analogue to Fostex recorder (SD card to friend with DAW) - me: CD from AW2400

The AW is unreliable and i have been tempted to learn REAPER.

I plan to get RME UFX interface to use the ISA/audient & extra mic pre's in UFX to get USB audio into a basic HP pavillion laptop (upgrade considered)

However, I want to try splitting the two x8 ADAT streams:  x16 into the UFX & x16 into the AW2400 (it's a love-hate thing!...but also it will be a while before i am competent on the DAW).

Is there an RME product that can do this?  Does anyone have a link to pro's and cons of doing this?

I am reading through the various tech spec's/overviews/manuals etc but start to be overwhelmed.

any thoughts out there?

many thanks in anticipation

regards
steve

Re: new to digital new to rme adat splitter needed

Wow! Just came here to ask about the same thing. smile

I'd like to route the 2nd adat output of my UFX to two destinations. One adat back to UFX input for loopback, and one to an external converter to gain some extra analog outputs (I'm only using half the channels now, so with duplicating the adat, I could route the remaining 4 channels to other destination)

I've found these two active splitters:

http://appsys.ch/en/products/adattoslink-splitter

http://www.allaboutadapters.com/1in2outopdia.html

But I was wondering if they would cause some delay or sync issues to the signal? On the first link they say that "the ADS-8 receives the optical signal, converts it to an electrical signal which can be split without loss to the out put transmitters which operate on each port with full power."

I believe any conversion takes some time, so can this become a problem with an adat splitter? Or could this perhaps be some kind of a latency free digital to digital conversion?

Anyone have experience or knowledge about these? Thanks!

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

There is no conversion and no re-clocking. While these splitters are 'active' they are still simple and don't treat the signal at all, making them compatible to anything. I am pretty sure both will work ok.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

There is no conversion and no re-clocking. While these splitters are 'active' they are still simple and don't treat the signal at all, making them compatible to anything. I am pretty sure both will work ok.

Good news, and thanks for the info Matthias! I'll just get one of those then. :-)

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

For priddy's Scenario:  Why not just use the UFX's ADAT Outs and Totalmix to accomplish this?  If you won't be using the UFX's ADAT Outs for anything else, they will make a perfect ADAT Splitter smile

This would not work for bsfreq as he only has a single ADAT Output available for his dual-purpose use.  In addition to MC's confirmation with the "Active" splitters - you might even be able to use a passive 1x2 ADAT splitter - but these tend to attenuate the light level and may cause issues with longer runs...

Happy New Year!  cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8